Michelin "Latitude Tour" vs. "LTX M/S"

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swshawaii

Staff member
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I believe testing tires is not conclusive unless it is performed on the vehicle I own.

Wheelbase, curb weight, etc. This where MySt shines. The people that own the same truck with "hands on" knowledge. Can a decision be made when testing is done on "another" vehicle? Hmmm.

I have narrowed my choice to these two models. Priority is ride, handling, and road noise.

Fuel mileage, durability, and pricing comparatively close, as I've read. I am favoring the "Latitude Tour", Michelin describes as their newest and "flagship" tire in this class.

I will never be off roading or in snow, although heavy rain is frequent in Hawaii.

Also appreciate input increasing the stock 235 MM width to 245 or 255 using stock 16" rims and the "70" profile. I am "dropped" 3 inches using torsion keys and lowering blocks.

Would "fender burn" be an issue? Want to avoid wheel spacers if possible.

Thanks again guys, your input is "priceless".

Last edited by a moderator:

I've had these tires for 3 or 4 months now and I love them. I have 275/55-18's on a 2dr 01 sport. Great handling, virtually zero road noise,confident in rain. I feel everything now, which sucks cause now I know how bad my shocks are. Before i bought them I called Michelin and asked if they were having any promotions, I said, because if they were i would buy them today, short pause, then the guy proceeded to ask my info and sent me a 60 dollar family and friends rebate. It worked, if you get these tires give that a shot. Good luck, Mike

Attn: Mike Deege

Thanks but, .... Which "treads" do you have? Latitudes or LTX M/S series?

Thanks Mike. I'M SOLD! (On the Latitudes) :D

I have the LTX M/S ( the truck had Wranglers) I have had them a few months now and the ride great. I can't compare them to the Latitudes as I have not owned them but as far as the LTX they stick to the ground in rain I did notice a .5 MPG loss in mileage from the Wranglers but it was a good trade for the handling improvement. All & all I really like them!

I have Michelins on all my cars. My BMW E30 got new Michelin X replacing Pirelli tires. Michelin's make excellent shoes dude!

Well that endorsement may make you decision a little toupher. Obvously they're both good choices. For me, I preferred the tread design and I did'nt care for the big lettering. IMHO

I have had good performance with Michelin tires on several vehicles over the years until I got my '07 with the OEM Michelin Cross-Terrains that wore out at 22K miles. Michelin would not stand behind their tires, and Ford would not help me either. Because of this experience, I will not purchase Michelin tires again.

I do have nothing but heaps of praise regarding the BF Goodrich Long Trai T/As currently on my Trac, as well as several other vehicles with these tires over the years. I would recommend them as being GREAT tires for those who do not travel in heavy mud or off-road conditions.

Yes, I know BF Goodrich is owned by Michelin.

Gavin- I was seriously considering the BFG "Long Trail TOUR" Model.

Believe they are intended more for street use. Now I have to reconsider. Again.

Thanks, Steve

Steve, I would seriously consider the tire I linked below. I don't have much personal experience with them, but Kumho's have a really good reputation for a quality, but inexpensive, tire. I think with the drop you have now, you should go with a slightly shorter than stock tire. You don't have many choices in the 16" rim size if you don't want to upgrade wheels, but the 255/65-16 will be about an inch shorter. The slightly shorter sidewall and wider tread will really compliment your new found handling prowess. Keep in mind, an inch of diameter is only 1/2" on each side of the rim, so it won't be a huge difference, but I would do it.

I have had Michelin LTX M/S on the trac for over 110,000 miles and it looks like i'll get to replace them this fall. I would recommend them. Good traction wet, dry, snow and not bad on ice either.

Edge

I agree with you 100% but I don't think Steve will have too much problem with snow & Ice like we have (I just moved from Jersey) since he lives in Hawaii! Yeah he has it rough <sigh>

Thanks Guys! Decision time.

Aloha from Hawaii Dan. Kum Who? Kidding. No Kumho dealers stocking this size, locally. Getting the Michelin's at wholesale no problem for me. Mounting, balancing, and alignment another issue. How much would the lower profile affect the speedo, without calibration? Probably going to replace the Rear Sway Bar before changing the new "rubberbands" I acquired with my ST 5K ago.

P.S.- Didn't know you were an A/V "fanatic", judging from your technical advice on related posts. Audio/Video and ST "tweaking" go together well. Now you're scaring me! LOL ;)

Rodger- Are you making your decision from the "TireRack" rating alone? I value your judgement BIG TIME. There are a "few" members and internet forums that beg to differ.

I was under the impression you had the General Grabber HTS tires in use on your ST, looking at your previous posts.

Except for the horrible snow performance (which you won't have to worry about), I loved the Michelin LTX M/S tires that were on my ST for several years. They were quiet, rode comfortably, handled superbly on dry or wet roads (again, treacherous in snow, but you don't care!) and lasted a long time. Sorry I don't know how many miles I put on them, but I would guess it was in excess of 60k.

No, I do not have the Grabber HTS at this time. Yes, I do base my decision on the Tirerack.com survey results because that are user submitted by ordinary people like you & I. I have found it makes a big difference as to whether you put on P (passenger) or LT (light truck) rated tires; and the our ST's are better off with a LT rated tire. Yes, you do loose a little ride comfort, but that is one of the criteria that I base my decision on, as well as all of the other criteria across the board. Michelin is a very good quality tire (no doubt about it), but I have found that you can get just as good a tire with out paying for the name.

In the spring of '06 when I put on the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's, the Tirerack.com survey results is what I based my decision on and I have not at all been disappointed or regretted that decision. The H/L Alenza's are over 3 yrs. old and still have another 2-3 yrs. of tread left on them. I do attempt to rotate them as close to every 3k miles as possible. Would I buy the H/L Alenza's again? Yes & no: Yes, the value dollar for dollar is definately there, and no because I feel that they are aimed more at the heavier SUV's like the Escalades & Hummer's. Also, I am not an aggresive driver.

I am curious as to which other forums you are looking at?

Rodger- This was a while back. I'll search the message board for "tires" and "all posts".

I probably misunderstood your message or "misread" it. Thanks for the tire info and understanding. Steve