MPG Increase ???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeC,

Yes, I was confused by your first post. You appeared to be arguing against the spinning air principle but claimed you got a 3 MPG improvement by using the device.

I do disagree that, if the Tornado reduces air flow, the resulting mixture would be richer??. If you consider that the volume of air going through the MAF would also decrease and the Air/Fuel mixture would be sensed and adjusted by the O2 sensor and would remain unchanged. However, if it did make the mixure a bit richer, that might show a slightly HP increase since most ST's are running at about 15:1 which is a bit lean for performance but better for economy.

The theory behind the Tornado is that the flow of spinning air will pack more air into the cylinder and the MAF and O2 Sensor will increase the fuel to keep the same Air/Fuel ratio. I personally do not believe that the Tornado fins restrict the intake flow to any great extent, nor do i believe that the spinning air that it creates will make that much difference on a dry intake. If there is any increase or decrease in either HP or MPG on a modern Port injected engine, it would be so small as to be consider insignificant!

I may just make one (not worth buying) and test it for my self. If I find that it does work (and I doubt that), I will publish the plans here so anyone can make one and see if it does the same for them. (I expect that the cost would not, and should not exceed $5)

...Rich