My 01 ST is falling apart :(

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
She turned 5yrs old this month, so I replaced the battery, flushed the radiator and had the fuel injectors cleaned at the dealer. Also, I replaced the plugs. A week later my check engine light comes on and gives me the P0171 code. I replaced the elbow after finding a small crack, and reset the computer. Same code came back the next day. So, I replaced the IAC and DPFE. A week later I get an excessive EGR flow code, so I replace the EGR vacuum controller thing and reset the computer. Today the light came back on and I haven't had it checked yet. Im going to go insane VERY soon. Someone make the light go away... please :( It idles fine, but does feel a bit sluggish at times. Also, I noticed she kinda jerks/hesitates at a steady 40mph. I want 2 more years out of her... thats all.

Thanks for letting me rant :)

Wish there was a way to press a button that basically is like in windows when you say "don't ask me about this again".

I had a pesky 'check engine' light on my wife's Mazda 626. It was for 'clogged catalytic converter'. Didn't affect mpg or performance, so I stuck a piece of black tape over the light so I didn't have to see it again. The CEL on that car was insanely bright orange and was a distraction for driving at night.

Drove it like that for 40K more miles.

I have not replaced the O2 sensors yet. I have a mechanic buddy scan it with his Snap-On scanner and I just replace the parts he say come up as defective or out of spec. I will have it scanned again this week and try to see what it is this time.

Clean your Mass Air Flow Sensor. It's easy to do but be careful because they are expensive to replace. If you dont have the fancy Ford screwdriver you can flatten the little knobs in the center of the screw head with a nail set then use a regular star drive/Torx driver bit to get it apart. I chased "lean bank" trouble codes, starting problems, and engine knock on my 4.0 liter Ranger and this is what finally fixed it.

The first thing I did when I got the bank 1 code was clean the MAF with electrical contac cleaner and replace the dreaded elbow off the intake. Everything has been snowballing ever since.

Every time I am proactive on replacing or fixing something on my ST, something breaks... I am just changing the oil now.