My Balljoint project officially uploaded!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
For those that are interested, here is the project on how to do the ball joints.

Tom

Can you put it in Adobe? :rolleyes:

Sorry Tom. You know I had to. :D

By the way. The pictures are not showing up on either of my browsers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what is wrong. I am pulling the pictures off my PC. Let me edit some code real quick.

Tom

Nevermind, you already figured it out. . .

Edit: IT works for me now Too..

It has been 5 years since I even accessed that website. lots has changed. It should be up now.

Check it.

Tom

The last four pictures didn't load for me.

I think Paul is right. There is no way I could do this following those instructions. You assume too many things. I wouldn't even know how to remove the calipers, or do any of the other numerous things you discuss. I'm not trying to start some debate, but some step-by-step instructions would be helpful.

The tool list sounds like a good idea too. I remember I had that issue when I changed my shocks. I had to drive to Sears to buy a bigger socket set in the middle of that project. I wasn't even sure if it was safe to drive my truck, since I had some parts already removed before I discovered I didn't have the tools to finish the job.

I wouldn't even know how to remove the calipers, or do any of the other numerous things you discuss. I'm not trying to start some debate, but some step-by-step instructions would be helpful.

If you have no idea how to remove brakes, do you think you would be qualified to even attempt ball joints?

You are aware there is a project on how to do brakes...right?

Tom

Then it would be like the DAM FORD MANUAL I have here, IT refers you to every other section in the book to do a simple task.... :lol::lol::lol:

Disclamer : This is a SHOT at the FORD OEM MANUAL, Not Toms project or Tom.

Todd Z

Very nice write-up Tom. You should get an extra-big wrench for this one! :D

I agree--if you don't know how to do brakes, you have no need to attempt doing ball joints. I'm not bashing here--but it is the truth. Brakes are relatively straight-forward unbolt/bolt on, with a few "tricks" for prepping rotors/drums, bleeding, lubing hardware, etc.

Another note: Balljoints are not lightweight work--while it isn't extremely physical, you do need to have a bit of strength to do it.

I've changed a few balljoints in my life, and Tom's write-up is pretty spot-on as I remember it.

Link isnt working for me

Tom I just changed out the ball joints on my truck last weekend. The information I got from you and Chad was invaluable.

Todd, maybe a suggestion would be to add a lessons learned section from members in addition to the project, or at least suggest a format for projects and feedback. You cant put everything in a project, you have to assume some level of skill. Maybe members could tune up the project with comments.

I think that some of the knowledge gained from doing a project is invaluable, especially the little tricks or common sense items that can make a job a quick success or a miserable chore. That is hard to get unless you learn it yourself.

I regularly check the site for information and to see what is going on. This site is like having a wizard in the closet you can get some magic from when you are in the dumper.

My 2 cents

Mike

When I changed all my ball joints I should have made a project out it, and then this mees would not even be happening. Maybe someone will make a project out of it.

Also FYI: Caymens project does not work for me, it says the following:

The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later

Chad

Too many hits in such a short period. That means lots and lots of people have looked at it.

Tom