Need Advise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WXMotorSports DecalsPartsAccs

Reaction score
I have a customer that purchased a windshield decal in Feb 2006. Today it came back as a return. Clearly passed the 10 day business return that is stated in the return policy with the directions as well as the online form that they have to fill out. Now, he sends this item, which is 40" x 6" back in a box 5 "x 5" x 7". So, I'm wondering what is in it. Well to get the decal to fit in the box he cut all the letters individually to fit in the box. The decal is now in 12 separate pieces and clearly not resellable. Plus it was just crammed in the box so all the letters are creased and wrinkled.

Part of me wants to say sorry, it's ruined because of how you shipped it back. And, the other part of me, being a nice guy and the customer (should) always be right wants to give him a refund.

What would you do?

Thanks,

SST

Advise him on the return policy, the condition in which the product was returned, and not give him a refund, another decal, or anything. Any other reasonable person would understand your actions, so I wouldn't be worried about future customers.

There's a difference between being a nice guy and being a guy that gets taken advantage of.

I think being flexible on the return date is noble, and the right thing to do, if you could turn around and resell the product again anyways. I think someone who slices up the product and takes no care it making sure it was returned carefully does not deserve a refund. That'd be my call anyways.

I agree with everyone else. Its great of you to be willing to give a refund even though the return date of way past, but you should not eat the cost of this item when he destroyed it and made it not resellable.

Don't refund. Any place that takes merchandise back (with few exceptions) require it to be in the original packaging and resellable. That being said - no refund is applicable.

If this isn't stated in your refund policy, you should consider adding it.

I wouldn't give them a refund either, but, to perhaps keep the peace, offer them 10% off their next order. As the other guy said above, a reasonable person will understand...

I would send him a refund check back but I would cut it up and ship it to him.

He is trying to return an item well beyond the return policy stated.

The product he is attempting to return is damaged such that any resale of said item, even at a reduced price does not appear possible.

No reasonable customer would expect someone to accept that for a refund.

Now, that taken into account, he/she is not likely to be a "reasonable" customer. So you have to take the grief factor into account here.

How much did said item cost you? Is it worth the potential grief factor this customer is likely to cause you over the non return/refund of the item?

Personally I would tell him/her to go pound sand, but that is just me, my tolerance for someone else's grief is high.

Rob T - that made me laugh! I need that...LOL It's stated in Red on the return form. They have to go to the return form as the return directions on the paper instructions points them to the page on the web site.

I agree with, Tiger...it is his loss..#1.your return policy,#2.his returned condition..

I think he is hoping to get something for nothing....plenty of other good customers out there...

Hold on a minute, did anyone ask why it was returned? Granted given the above info no refund no way. However what is the reason for the return? Is it defective or not correct in some way?

Doesn't matter now Me. He cut the damn thing up. SST, don't refund. It's noble to feel the way you do, but you have a "return policy" for a reason. If they can't fallow the policy, that's thier problem. Take pics of the item and send it back to him.(if the postage isn't that much) The pic will be for if he tries to sue, and if he does you did return the product back.;)

The reason for return: Said the size was too big, even though the size is listed. Plus, one of the letters is closer to each other, which in fact is how the logo is supposed to be and how the sample image shows. I've sold this way for a year and no one else has had a problem with the design. Plus, the directions say, check your order when you receive it. Five months later he must of just checked it? If he would of sent it just like he received it I could of turned around and resold it. It's garbage now.

Send a letter via registered mail explaining why he's not getting a refund, and keep the cut decal and his shipping box handy, just in case...

No...DO NOT give that a$$hole a refund. He didn't return something that could be resold.

If he had contacted you first because of the late date AND returned it in "as new" condition, I could sympathize with you having somewhat of a perplexing problem.

But, that clearly isn't the case here. Send a polite letter saying, no refund for you.