Need info on a TSB

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn D

Reaction score
My ST is in for a few minor things right now (All of which were taken care of - Way to go Greenway Ford in Orlando, FL. The first dealership to accomplish this feat). However, one of the main reasons I took it in was because whenever I go over a bump and the rear bounces, there is a terrible grinding noise. Apparently, they had to special order some part for it and the guy who called couldn't tell me what (I think he was an office croanie). All he could tell me is that it was under TSB 042103. I noticed we can't easily access TSB's and recalls on this site as we could before. Can anyone get info on this and relay it through the board. I am very curious.

Thanks in advance,

Jenn

Last edited by a moderator:
TSB

04-21-3 SQUEAKING NOISE FROM REAR SWAY BAR LINK

Publication Date: October 8, 2004

FORD: 2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac

ISSUE:

Some 2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles may exhibit a squeaking noise from the rear suspension, which is especially noticeable when driving over bumps. The noise may be coming from the rear stabilizer bar link bushing(s).

ACTION:

Confirm the source of the noise by jouncing the rear of the vehicle up and down, by pushing on the rear bumper. Replace the rear stabilizer bar link(s) with revised part and attachment nut(s). Torque to new specification of 55 lb-ft (75 N-m). Refer to Workshop Manual Section 204-02.

Hal, Thank you for finding out for me. But now that raises a new question. If I have an EE swaybar, will this be an issue? Obviously, the old sway bar is MUCH smaller than my current one and thus the bushings should not fit if they replace them. I'm thinking I need to refuse service on this one, but am not sure.

Without sounding ignorant....does this mean that it will only be the endlinks of the sway bar that will be replaced, and nothing to do with the sway bar itself? Thus it will be okay to let them go ahead with repair of this TSB?

Thanks again,

I just wanted to clarify.

Jedd,

to be on the safe side, swap the old bar back on. Just in case they try the name game, as Jeff mentioned above.

Tom

I'm not too worried if they blame by sway bar and make me pay. According to my invoice the parts only cost them a total of $36, granted they may want to charge for labor. Hell, if that's the case I'll tell them to hand over the parts and I'll do it myself.

Thanks again everyone!