New shocks (or, yet another "wow!" post)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Stanton

Reaction score
Installed new Monroe Reflex on my '05 today (6765 miles on it). Like everyone else who's ever done it says, I LIKE!

Many thanks to STan Stockdale and David Vinson for their projects. They were a tremendous help in preparing me for what to expect. However, I do have a few observations:

1. I'm not a very physical guy, so this took a little more elbow grease than I was expecting. But that said, it wasn't all that hard to do.

2. Having the right tools would have made this a bit easier. I had a buddy bring me a deep-socket 13mm socket to get the bottom nuts off the front shocks, and a 15mm racheting wrench to make getting the top nut off. I still could have used a 13mm racheting wrench for the top nuts of the rear shocks... with such little clearance up there it was a pain in the buttocks to get those suckers off.

3. Given my clearance issue mentioned above, replacing the rears was more difficult than replacing the front shocks. One of the projects here states otherwise.

4. Sears sucks. They wanted $70 each for the Reflexes, which they didn't even have in stock. I could have gotten Sensa-Tracs installed for $200+tax (they had them for $50 each with free installation), but I wanted to do the install myself, and I wanted Reflexes. So, I used the $100 gift card I had to buy some new tools, and ended up going to Advance Auto Parts to pick up all four shocks for $198 out the door.

5. After getting them installed and taking it for a spin, all I can say is that it now rides like I think it always should have. No more skipping around over bumps (which were especially nerve-wracking around curves!). The ride isn't really any stiffer, but it feels like the tires are staying on the road like they should. Vast improvement.

Again, thanks to the guys who posted projects, and MANY thanks to all of you for suggesting that everyone replace their shocks. I'm definitely jumping on that bandwagon.

I agree Roger, plus that extra money in your pocket is nice too. I could have never gotten my four shocks replaced for $120 anywhere except for my garage. I appreciated it even more since it was pouring down rain outside, and I was nice and dry inside. :)

Did you replace/reuse and tighten every bolt you removed or loosen? When you replaced the old shock, did the new one fit in the same area as the old one was?

If you answer yes, then the job was done right.

Tom

When you replaced the old shock, did the new one fit in the same area as the old one was?

Not 100% true, Mine did, and the axle hit the shock, putting a hole in it. The shock fit fine.. :p

Did you replace the strut bearings? You have to do that whenever you replace the shocks. :p

Where did you get your Monroe Reflex's for your 05? The guy I talked to this morning at A-1 Shocks said his newest 06 Monroe book only went up to 2004 and said there was difference in shocks between 04 and 05.

Rich, There is NO difference on 01-05 shocks. Only with some manufacturers there is a difference with the 4wd and 2wd..

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks...................and you're sure about that? I just hung up with Pep Boys and he told me the same thing about the listing in the new Monroe book and said he thought they might be different too.

I got mine at Advance Auto Parts for somewhere around $45 apiece. And as already stated, they're the same for 01-05. I just told them to look up an '03 to be sure.

Remember, Monroe Reflexes have different part numbers for 2WD and 4WD front shocks. Get the correct set for yours. Right, Todd?

Yes flip, Rub it in...... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::p