New Tundra

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Smith 2

Reaction score
Sold the Trac.....served its purpose. 05' Toyota Tundra D-Cab is the new ride! Very sweet! Have had some "interesting" reads here....the site is however is second to none! Good luck all!

..and when it doesn't Ford will be more then happy to sell you a real truck.

Good luck with it.

Tom

The double cab Tundra is a very nice truck. I have owned two Toyota trucks in my lifetime and both were amazing vehicles that never gave me a lick of trouble. Best of luck to you and yours!

My Dad has an extended cab Tundra. It is so much quieter inside than the Trac, and the V8 is nice, powerful, and smooth. He has about 80,000 very hard miles on it, and it has never let him down (I don't think he has ever taken it in for any repair--just oil changes, etc.)

Sounds like you have a nice ride!

Nice ride! I like the Tundra, but my mother just bought a 2005 Sequoia Limited 4x4, and it already has transmission and a battery problem. They can't seem to fix the tranns problem. The car will bounce forward when you are parked at a light (like someone hit you in the back).

Toyotas are not always the best, but they are nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually traded my 2002 Tundra in for a Sporttrac. Just thought I would share my comparison between the two.

My Tundra had a more quiet and smoother ride than the ST - especially at highway speeds . My 2005 ST feels very unstable at highway speeds and I can't believe the way it bounces around. The Tundra had the ST beat here hands down. It also had a very loose steering feel compared to the Trac. I like the steering better on the Trac. More responsive.

Gas mileage was a wash. I have been very dissapointed in the ST's fuel economy. I can't believe Ford can't build a six banger and get better gas mileage out of it. To me they would be better off putting a small 8 in the ST. I guess they plan to do this the next model year. The 4.6 liter would probably get better gas mileage than the 4.0 liter six with the weight of the Trac.

My Tundra had several quality issues which I was very dissapointed in. I had to have the dashboard pulled twice due to an annoying rattling sound. They fixed it once and then it came back again around 40K miles. To be fair - I have had multiple annoying rattles in the ST as well. They still haven't solved a couple of them. So I guess it is a wash there. (Both had quality issues)

Other than this the engine was great. The only thing I found was that when it gets cold you get a piston slap for about the first 10 minutes or so. There is a forum called tundrasolutions.com that you might want to check out. The newer Tundras also have a good rear door system. Mine had the suicide doors which I hated. The ST has the tundra beat hands down for rear passenger comfort - but then again the Tundra really wasn't designed to be a 5 passenger vehichle.

I also did not like the brakes on the Tundra. They might have fixed this with later models. Mine never felt solid. They did, however, show very little wear when I traded it in at 50K miles.

You made a good decision. Good luck. I'm sure you will like your Tundra.

Dave,

Did you know a Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, Dodge Dakota, Honda Rodgeline get the same MPG as a Trac does? The Trac's fuel economy is right where the others is.

Why didn't Ford put a V8 in the Trac? The 4.0L puts out about the same power as the V8 did. The 4.6L won't fit.

Tom

Caymen:

Right you are. Trucks don't get good gas mileage. I didn't realize that a 4.6 wouldn't fit. I know they do in the Explorers. It may have similar HP but it doesn't have the low end tourque that the V8 has. That was the biggest difference I have noticed between my previous Tundra and the Trac.

Scott: No I haven't changed shocks. It's hard to justify when you just spent 26K on a new vehicle. I think I will get some wear out of them first and look to change them later. I have read that the new shocks make a big difference. Oh - did I mention I hate the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires also?

Bitch Bitch - Discount Tire offered to trade them for Michelins for $400.00. That's hard to justify also on a new vehicle. I guess I'll live with both issues for a while. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave -

I agree that is hard to justify new shocks after such a large purchase, but it is amazing how much difference new shocks make. Most everyone at this site agree. I changed mine on a 2004 bought 2 months ago. My wife laughed because I got them because this site suggested it. She does not laugh now :). Now she wonders if I should change the shocks on her 2003 Crown Vic. I think the Trac rides better :D.

Terry

Dave,

Cheap shocks from Autozone will be better then the OE shocks. Ford was trying to make everyone happy by making it ride like a car, because everyone knows Trucks/SUV's are supposed to ride smooth.

Currently, I am running Monroe Reflex Shocks. Prior to that I had Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks. I sent them beck to get replaced because they wore ut and the bushings went to hell.

My Reflex are already going to hell because of the CRAP Ohio roads. They still do fine, but they are starting to feel different.

The next ones I get will either be KYB Monomax or Billstein.

As for a V8, Ford quit producing the 302 (5.0L) at the end of the 2001 Model year of the Explorers. That was the only V8 that should fit in the Trac we have. The 2002 to present Explorers are built on a new chassis where the Trac is based off the 1996 to 2001 Explorer.

Really, the Trac MPG isn't any worse then the competition. The others out there that are the same size, etc. get the same MPG. Honestly, I think 20 to 23 MPG is the limit of trucks the size of a Trac. The others out there, no matter the size engine, HP ratings, etc. do the same. It is just the way it is.

Tom

Dave,

Tires...forgot to give yu my input.

I got 40,000 miles out of the Wrangler RT/S tires. I was never happy with the Tires. I am willing to bet they arent the cheapest tires for Ford to buy, no Goodyear tire is cheap. They are the ones that are most widely available.

I replaced the tires because one got a nail in it and I was itching for new tires. They had plenty of life left in them. I bet I could have gotten another 20,000 miles out of them. If it werent for the flat, I would still have them.

Like you, I could not justify buying new tires when I paid my hard earned money on a new vehicle.

When I got the new tires, BF Goodrich Radial Long Trail TA, I honestly wish I would have gotten them the day I got the Trac. That are that much better then the RT/S.

As for the trade for your Wranglers for Michelin plus $400.00, I think they were trying to screw you. New BFG tires at BJ's Wholesale Club were $118.00/each mounted and balanced.

BFG tires are made by Michelin. Many tires BFG has are Michelin tires put in a different mold. Save yurself some money and skip Michelin ad get the tires I have. You will love them. Smooth & quiet ride, great wet & dry traction. Well worth the money spent.

Tom

Yeah, have to agree with Caymen on the tire issue. I got rid of my RT/S tires at about 12,000 miles, the traction was just to poor on wet highways for me. I went with the Toyo Open Country A/T and I wish that I had done it the day I bought it. I was able to go in 2WD in places where I had to use 4x4 with the Wranglers.

Dave --

Like Tom, I replaced my OEM shocks with Monroe Relex. I have only had them for about a month. I saw an ad in the paper today at "PepBoys", buy 3 get 1 free. I paid $195.00, installed by a friend of my daughter.

I still have the Wrangler tires - 20,000 miles. Not ready to change them yet.

Terry

Dave,

Did you know a Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, Dodge Dakota, Honda Rodgeline get the same MPG as a Trac does? The Trac's fuel economy is right where the others is.

But all of these vehicles have more HP and Torque than the Ford.

My brother is a VP for Goodyear and says the Wrangler RT/S's are a very old design and will be replaced this fall. I might try to get a trade deal from him on the replacements. I'll keep you all posted. I think the tires have too much road feel to them. I feel every crack in the road with these tires - even running them at 30psi.

I guess I'll live with the shocks until I get to the first major maintenance interval. (Then I will consider replacing them) Thanks for your advice on the shocks.

My Tundra had BFG Rugged trail tires on them and I didn't like the traction they had. They did wear well however. I traded it in with 50K and there was still some tread on them.

I guess my earlier point on the six cyl mileage issue is that Buick has the 3800 and on the Buick Park avenues and LeSabres, they get 32+ MPG on them. I know they aren't as heavy and have different gear ratios but GM did figure out how to get good mileage out of a six cyl engine. Ford needs to go to work on this.

Good to hear you are getting 40K plus out of the Wranglers. At least they go the distance even though they ride terrible and don't have very good traction. ;)

Gavin,

It was the same before they had more HP. I also would expect a newer engine design to more efficiant then an older design. The others have finally caught up with Ford in the HP war. Soon Ford will beat them, then they will beat Ford, then Ford wins, etc. etc. etc.

Tom

Latest posts