OT: What do you think of the "comeback" cars?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott r

Reaction score
Do you like the "comeback" cars...the GTOs, retro-looking 2005 Mustang, Charger, upcoming Challenger and also the upcoming Camaro (which has a striking similarity to the 1969 model)? We seem to be getting a lot of our old favorites coming back into production. I posted a link to the new camaro at the bottom. I REALLY like this one. I was sad to see the Camaro go in the first place, since I'd driven them and Trans Ams for most of my adult life.

Some people like the comeback cars, some don't. I think this might be another love 'em or hate 'em situation...

If the Camaro looks anything close to that, I will like it. Some of the comeback cars are just names stuck on current models, with a slightly different package. Personally, I think the Mustang shouldn't be in this category since it never went away, just changed to retro styling. The Camaro has only been gone for a few years, so I don't think it's a "comeback" either, but the GTO and Charger are basically just names stuck on current models with bigger engines.

I got a question, why isn't the Charger called the "Magnum Coupe" or something like that, since it's basically the Magnum without the station wagon effect.

I dunno. I am not fond of a 4-door Charger, neither is my dad, who owned TWO 1969 Chargers...one in his first childhood, one in his second. A muscle car just doesn't seem right with 4 doors.

The GTO looks absolutely nothing like the former GTOs, but it does embody the original spirit...small car, big engine.

I REALLY like that Camaro. I just hope they don't stick the anemic 5.3L in there and go with the 6.0L in the Z28 camaro and the 7.0L (small block 427) in the SS.

I like most of the comebacks. I do not like the GTO at all. I used to drive a Z28 (before the ST) and was very dissapointed when GM decided to stop production of it. Then after killing the Trans AM and the Camaro, they come up with a stupid looking Pontiac Grand AM with GTO badging to replace it. I do like the new Challenger and of course Ford hit a home run with the Mustang. I would love to see the Camaro reborn with retro styling. I may consider buying one. As for the retro styling, I like it, seeing the newer cars on the road is always pretty cool. Anybody like the Ford Thunderbird?

Here is where I think it all started. When I was in High School, I fell in love with this car called the Chezoom. Designed by Boyd Coddington, I think I saw it on the cover of Super Chevy Magazine. It is a retro version of the 57 Chevy Bel Air. I can't find any info on it, but I did find this scale model picture of it. Not sure if this started it all, but it is fun to look at.

Tommy

Last edited by a moderator:
no I dont like any of the new comebacks. They are classic cars for a reason, why ruin them by bringing them back............

I've owned a 64 Impala SS, 69 Chevelle, 72 Dart GT, 70 Charger, 72 Challenger, 70 Mach 1, 74 Firebird, 76 Trans Am, 77 Corvette, 79 Corvette & 84 Corvette (and I guess I should throw in the 95 STS since its faster then 3/4 of the other performance cars were:rolleyes:)

So I do like performance cars a lot. The only thing I like about most of the retro cars is the fact that they are powerful. A lot more refined too of course. That being said, I personally think a lot of the performance/sports cars that are being produced are not all that great looking, to me anyway. I think the Charger looks like a cheaper car like a newer K-car or something. Looks to me like it should just be the new Dodge Aries or something. I dont like station wagons so the Magnum------.The GTO? more like the GT-NO! very unappealing. The new Mustang? Yawn. Looks from the side too much like the 90s models IMO. I've seen some nice GTs but they are just too many of the cars around to get very exited about them.

That being said, Most or all of these cars are faster then the old muscle cars I had (except for the Dodge Dart with a race built 340--OMG!) and they are decent cars that some folks find appealing, I just dont personally care for the ones mentioned.

Hadn't seen that Camaro concept before. A modern Camaro the looks like that would be great.

I think the latest Mustang is great. Waiting with anticipation to see a new Cougar.

The GTO is not so good and the Charger is a joke.

Thanks to Lee Iacocca I'll never see my favorite - a modern Javelin or AMX.

I assure you that getting behind the wheel of a "GT-NO" would certainly put a smile on your face, even if you HATED the syling of it. ;)

I have people coming up to me of all ages, who want to look at the goat. I was at Casey's buying a lottery ticket for my grandfather earlier when a guy in his 50s peeked his head back in the door and said "who owns the GTO?"...the first thing that crossed my mind was "oh great, he ran into it". Then he said "That is a great-looking car, is it fast?". I just gave him my typical evil-looking grin and nodded. I've had a group of high school kids standing around it on two separate occasions when I have walked out of a gas station. My dad likes it (he's a mopar and ford guy, so the fact that he likes it REALLY says something).

I will have to agree, it doesn't have the "whoa, look at me" styling. The whole concept of the original GTO was to take a small, light car and stuff a MASSIVE V8 under the hood. I think they've stayed very true to the original in that respect. Not many people can argue with 0-60 in 4.6 seconds and a 12.xx second quarter mile at nearly 110 mph. When you're pinned to your seat at takeoff, you have nothing but a smile on your face...which is EXACTLY what the original goat gave you.

The new Mustang is a perfect meld of old and new. Congratulations to Ford on that one. Unfortunately that is about the only thing I can congratulate Ford on. Now my new 05 Sport Trac has a clunking sound coming from the back seat area. I saw another post about tightening the seat bolts so I guess I will give that a try.

For starters I dont care what they look like, changes will come if they catch on..Iam 55, and I grew up with muscle cars...Bring em on...

Eh....the retro-styling trend will be gone soon enough, then everyone will want to get rid of them and car manufacturers will have to rethink whats cool. Kinda like air-plane styling of the '50s. It went out of style and clean, uncluttered lines of the '60s became the new fad. In 10 years, none of the current retro cars will be considered "in fashion", then what of all the Mustangs. aka, the Volkswagen of American cars (as in everyone has one)? They'll be in the junkyards rotting away with the Mustangs from the '80s, the K-cars, and SUVs. The future isn't looking back and copying, the future is harnessing the feeling of the old, while boldly stepping forward and upping the ante.

I don't like the concept Camaro much at all. The designers can't decide if they want a new edge style car, or the classic coke bottle shape of yore.

Theres IS one new Pontiac that I personally find appealing & its the new Solstice. I would have preordered one if my local dealer would have had more info on the car a couple months ago. He is supposed to call me as soon as they start coming in. I guess I should be glad he wasn't a very good salesman though because I'm having "a few" second thoughts. I'm afraid the car might be too small looking like a early model Miata? Plus even though they are fairly cheap I probably wouldnt think the car is worth the payments after awhile. I have bought cars on impulse in the past & regretted it later (let me tell you guys a story about a new Chrysler Cirrus LXi & a 3-4 thousand dollar loss within a couple months;)) BUT, I havent seen the Solstice in person yet so I cant say that I'm totally out of the running for one cause d--n they look good in photos![Broken External Image]:

I think the retro cars are great as only the big three are offering them. Honda, Nissan and Toyota have nothing to offer as far as retro so it's a leg up on the competition.

The Solstice is nice looking. However, AC is an option not a standard feature on the car.

GM needs a cool looking retro car - and the camaro would be perfect!!

What I don't understand from GM's recent offerings is this...

The Chevy HHR...

[Broken External Image]:

Looks like GM ran out of ideas and copied the aging Chrysler PT Cruiser, then of course did their "round peg in a square hole" thing!!

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the solstice too. It probably wouldn't have enough under the hood for me though. I bet it's a ton of fun to drive on the back-roads and twisties with the top down on a nice, sunny day. It probably also gets great gas mileage...which is a concern these days for most "normal" people.

The Solstice is a drop-top, so why would you need air conditioning?

I dunno, SST, have you seen some of the older Japanese vehicles? Quite striking. The old Z-cars would look great with modern styling and modern under pinnings. The old Silvia and Skylines aren't so too bad either. And of course the Euro's have had some of the most beautiful cars ever made, the 300SL, E-Type, DB5. I don't think too many people would complain if modern versions of these cars were made tomorrow.

My Jeep Wrangler doesn't have air, and I don't understand why it would even be offered... (some have it, and I believe in my year it was a dealer option, not a chrysler option)

Tiger, you need to live in South Texas one summer to find out why you need AC in a drop top. When the air blowing past you is in the 95-100 degree range, it doesn't cool you down even at freeway speeds!

I like the retro cars. They take the styling cues from then and merge them with the engineering of now to make a car that excites the senses. The GTO missed the mark because it is almost pure engineering with no visual excitement. Actually, I also like that in a car, since the cops always looked for the sporty cars when they heard street races going on, and ignored my Ford sedan!

Ford found out the retro look works with the last Mustang, which is why the new Mustang is so retro. GM didn't get it, which is why Ford sold ten times the Mustangs, even though the Camaro was faster.

I'm thinking there's a mullet not very far from that Firebird Formula. :blink:

The cars are okay, but I'd rather see "comeback" gas prices too. :lol:

Latest posts