Product Review: SilverStar zXe Headlight Bulbs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
I've been running SilverStar bulbs (9007 headlights, 9145 fogs, 3157A front turn signals) in my '04 Trac for about 7.5 years now. I installed the original SS bulbs in '04, and when the SS Ultras came out a few years ago, I replaced the original SS bulbs with the Ultras and moved the still working original SS bulbs to my Class C RV (E450 chassis).

So I'd been running the SS Ultra 9007's in the Trac for at least three years now. While sitting in traffic after work last night, I noticed only one of my headlights reflected in the car in front of me. A quick visual inspection revealed that yep, my left headlight was burned out.

So I stopped by a local Advance Auto to pick up a replacement bulb. Because it was cheaper to buy a pair, I decided to pick up a new set of SS Ultras and have one as a spare. But then I noticed the SS zXe bulbs right next to them for $10 more than the Ultras. And, they were on sale for $10 off, so that put them right in the price range of the Ultras. So I decided to pull the trigger on the SS zXe's and give 'em a shot. I changed out both bulbs right in the Advance Auto parking lot, and noticed a difference right away when departing. They're just about the same amount whiter than the SS Ultras as the Ultras are compared to the regular SS bulbs. The beam/light also seems to travel a much greater distance in front of the vehicle than the Ultras or regular SS bulbs.

I've only driven with them for one night so far, but my overall first impression is very favorable. So I may also install them in my '08 Mustang and wife's '08 Mariner in the not-to-distant future.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have wondered about them myself.

I asked about them on this board awhile back. The feed back was not favorable. Of course non had used them......LOL

Thanks, TT.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do these bulbs cost? I've always been one t onot change bulbs unless teh yare burnt out. Is it really worth upgrading?

What do these bulbs cost? I've always been one t onot change bulbs unless teh yare burnt out. Is it really worth upgrading?

Here are the average prices that I've seen for SilverStar Bulbs at most auto parts stores:

SilverStar Bulbs: $39.99

SilverStar Ultra Bulbs: $49.99

Silver Star zXe Bulbs: $59.99

Any of the SS bulbs provide a much brighter, whiter light than an OEM or conventional bulb. So you're the only one who can decide if it's worth it to you to upgrade.

Latest posts