Proper way to request a raise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob moore 2

Reaction score
way off topic here, but i need advice...what is the proper way to request a raise from your employer.

my situation: 250 employees, im a member of management. i deal daily with my customer(my only customer) customer is about 10m/yr sales and growing.....i take the daily a** chewings from them and my superiors, including owner. i know for a fact that i am one of, if not the lowest, paid of our group. i know for a fact that some of my equal make much (upto14k more than me) but dont have nearly the day in and day out relationship and with there customers or the responsibility i have. i am in not position to say "give me a raise or i quite".....if i decide to leave i think they would have a REALLY hard time keeping this 10m+ customer....

any advice?

You have to tie your worth to the revenue you support. The only valid request for a raise includes a validation of your worth. Cite your role in preserving the revenue stream from this important customer, with examples. If you responsibilities or daily role has grown along with that revenue stream, cite that. HAve you stepped up over and above your job description? Have you grown into a larger role without ever getting the title or salary that goes with it? Highlight those sorts of things.

Take your time, think it out, put it all down on paper clearly.

Be able to physically show and or compare how things were when you were hired and at what rate you were hired.

Be able to easily explain the increased and or extra duties you have taken on through your time since you were hired or your last raise.

Show how your duties help the increased bottom line. Be able to give details on how you have handled the customer and that he/she has not had to hear of or deal with the situation...

These types of things.

Also, any additional training or schools you have done to increase your self worth....

TNS,

Show how you are under-valued. Give real examples. You would know them better than I.

However, resist the temptation to give examples that indict your co-workers ("I know I do much more work than Frank!") or give examples that might seem like a threat or that you have the employer over a barrel ("You would be screwed and customer XYZ would dump you if I left!"). I'm not saying you would exactly those things, but even hinting at them often sets the wrong tone.

All too often people look at themselves vs. others as a comparison as to how they should be compensated. Too many factors come into play, factors that an individual often isn't privy to that define the compensation of others. Make your desired raise "about you", and "about your merit."

Oh, and timing is everything. Try to make this well articulated request after you have done something very successful and beneficial for the company (maybe after a large order you sell), and make sure the economic climate is right. No employer wants to hear some asking for raises when times are tough.

That's my advice.

Good luck.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
No employer wants to hear some asking for raises when times are tough.

To add on to this, know the difference between the employer painting the picture that times are hard and when times are really hard.

Employers love to play the game that they are hurting during the same time they are spending cash like it is going to expire.

Tom

A few other articles to read -

http://humanresources.about.com/od/salaryandbenefits/a/ask_raise.htm

http://careerplanning.about.com/od/negotiatingoffers/a/raise.htm

Hit google and type in how to ask for a raise and see all the articles available. Use what tips, hints and suggestions that feel comfortable to you.

JT#14

Latest posts