REAR WINDOW MEASURMENT

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alan,

Have you tried to contact one of our site sponsors, SeattleSportTrac; about this decal? He's also a Sport Trac owner, so he could give you the exact measurements, and probably the exact decal you're looking for. He's a great guy to work with--outstanding customer service. Give him a shout, he'll take care of you!

Go StL Cardinals!:D

Just register it in your home state if they will allow the tint. NJ can't do anything about a vehicle registered somewhere else.

That is not entirely true. Some states do not exclude out of state vehicles so even if you are driving through one of those states, you can get a ticket for breaking their law with your vehicle registered in another state.

The really sad thing is that people here support that idea.

Tom

Caymen,

Yes, I support the idea that states should be able to set their own laws and enforce them.

I am surprised you don't, Caymen.

Or do you think the only laws that should apply to people crossing state lines are federal ones?

TJR

I have no problem with a state setting its own law, then enforcing it.

I do not have a problem with a state being about to say you must have two licence plates on a vehicle.

I do not have a problem with a state saying what tint, if any, you can put on your vehicle windows.

I do have a problem gettting a ticket for not having a plate in the front because my state does not require it.

I do have a problem getting a window tint ticket if my state allows me to have tinted windows.

I do feel if the speed limit is 55 MPH in one state and another is 75, you can drive the applicable speed limit in the applicable state.

Do you agree or disagree?

Tom

Caymen said:
I do have a problem gettting a ticket for not having a plate in the front because my state does not require it.

I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for this and for this alone. I am not saying it hasn't ever happened, I just have never heard of it. Also, I would never expect that a policeman would pull over an out of state car that is absent a plate that is not needed in the resident state as the single reason for pulling over the car.

Caymen said:
I do have a problem getting a window tint ticket if my state allows me to have tinted windows.

I don't see that the same as a license plate and therefore I have a slightly different opinion. This is much more of a safety issue for policeman. They have a tough job and I think they should be able to dictate the visibility into vehicles, in and out of state. But, again, if it is an out of state car, and within the law for the other state, I would hope that one can only get written up if part of some other violation.

Lot's of things look cool on a vehicle, but just because they do, doesn't mean I should have a right to put them on my car.

I think a razor sharp-tipped, 8' long metal spike welded to the front of my hood would look great. But I can understand how some states would write me up for it. ;)

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
This is much more of a safety issue for policeman. They have a tough job and I think they should be able to dictate the visibility into vehicles, in and out of state.

What would be the difference between having a "bad guy" in the back seat behind tinted windows and non tinted windows or all windows tinted? Just because the driver's windows are not tinted does not guarantee the officers safety. An officer has a PA system. He can tell the driver to lower his or her windows.

I respect a states decision to not allow window tint. I might not like it, but I respect.

Your statement pretty much sums up my thoughts...

But, again, if it is an out of state car, and within the law for the other state,

It is a permanent modification that is legal in the state it is registered in. It isn't a seat belt that can be put on or off. It is not like a car stereo that can be turned down. It can not be changed without having it removed.

I would hope that one can only get written up if part of some other violation.

Those things are called "Padding a ticket". I disagree with that, but that is a totally different discussion.

Lot's of things look cool on a vehicle, but just because they do, doesn't mean I should have a right to put them on my car.

I think a razor sharp-tipped, 8' long metal spike welded to the front of my hood would look great. But I can understand how some states would write me up for it. ;)

Is it legal in your state?

Tom

Caymen, what about the seat belt law? For those states that require a seat belt, should they enforce it for all out-of-state drivers as well as residents?

Some states, in the past, have only written up people for "no seat belt" as part of some other moving violation. PA was one of them. Now, you can get a ticket just for having no seat belt. That's good, right?

TJR

I've received a ticket for no front license plate in Nevada when I was a resident there. I was parked though.

In Washington I don't run a front plate on three of our cars. One the M3 doesn't even have a bracket and I'm not going to drill holes in the bumper to add one. It also has illegal tint-too dark for the front windows.

The race car has no front plate but it is registered as a street car.

The SVT Focus doesn't have a plate either since it's a track car and I take it off so it doesn't go flying off on the track. However, it sits under the front seat if I do get pulled over and I'll zip tie it to the grille. Now the city I live in I'll probably get out of the ticket since I do vehicle graphics for the SWAT team.

SST, yeah, it's common to get tickets like that even when parked. I got a ticket for an expired registration while parked at the city train station. I could get it waived though if showed valid registration within 15 days.

TJR

Caymen, what about the seat belt law? For those states that require a seat belt, should they enforce it for all out-of-state drivers as well as residents?

I am an avid seat belt user. I never needed the law to make me wear it. Even if it was not required to wear, I would anyways.

I look at it this way though. All vehicles come with seatbelts...unless your vehicle is that old. If you are driving a vehicle that did not come with them, you should not get a ticket. Back to the original question. A seat belt can be clicked on when entering a state the requires it since it already has them installed.

Ohio just passed a law prohibiting smoking in work places. While I do not agree with the law (I am not a smoker and I think is is disgusting) it is still a law. A trucker from Ohio, by himself in his truck is not allowed to smoke. An out of state trucker is allowed to smoke in his rig while in Ohio.

That is fair.

Now, you can get a ticket just for having no seat belt. That's good, right?

I would not say it is good, but it is fair.

Tom

Caymen,

You seem to be bringing up a "convenience" consideration to enforcement of state-by-state traffic codes. You mention that seatbelt laws can vary from state to state but should be enforced within a state regardless because its "convenient" and easy to abide by the law as all cars have seatbelts. If we compare and contrast that to the varying front license plate and window tinting laws we can see those as not as convenient to abide while crossing from state to state. I understand that argument.

Here is another example. I forget the state, but some state just passed (or is proposing) a law that makes it illegal for an adult to smoke in a car where children are passengers.

I think that fits into your "convenient" class. This is a behavior law, just like seatbelt usage, and it takes no real change in the vehicle to comply.

Are you okay with such a law?

TJR

Are you okay with such a law?

I am absolutly against any smoking bans. If the activity is legal, I see not problem with it. I can be against the legal activity, but as long as it is legal, I have nothing to say about it. I see no difference between smoking in a car or a home.

Back to the question at hand. Sure, the state can enforce that law if the citizens are stupid enough to give up their rights to the government.

Tom

Caymen,

Respectfully I have to say that I don't see the difference between seatbelt laws and anti-smoking laws.

More specifically, I don't see a difference between a automobile child safety seat (and seatbelt) law, and a law that says parents can't smoke in a car with children. Both serve exactly the same purpose and that purpose is to protect children. The reason we have both of those laws is because some parents won't assume the responsibility of safeguarding their children.

So, I don't see how you can support one and not the other.

TJR

So, I don't see how you can support one and not the other.

The reason I am against a smoking ban is because smoking is a legal activity.

I never said the police should have no power with charging and out-of-state-er to be charged with a smoking infraction, I just do not agree with smoking bans.

Tom

Caymen,

Letting my kids sit whatever way they want is a legal activity too. But I have a law that restricts it when in a car in most all states.

Same with the proposed smoking ban in cars with kids.

Both are laws that restrict actions for the safety of children. There's no difference.

TJR

Latest posts