rebuild or not

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike gatewood

Reaction score
hey guys, got a 158k mi on my 2001,paid it off last month,tanny and engine still strong,frequent servicing and good gas has got me good use,ive done several mods,but was considering and engine rebuild, id like to get another 100k out of her,any comments.......thanks............mike

I wouldnot rebuild unless compression checks and other things, show it needs it. If you have kept it serviced well, most likley many miles left in it, now...

mikeg,

If you are planning on rebuilding the engine yourself, but the engine is still running fine, I would delay it until there are signs of oil burning, knocking or other indications of serious illness. That would give you time to order gaskets, bearing, rings pistons, etc

If the egine is well cared for, you can probably stretch it out pas 200K miles before you have to crack it open.

...Rich

thanks guys,thats what i needed to hear,im still getting good excelleration,and gas mileage last road trip was 19-20mpg at 70,no tranny slips or 4wd issues.....so ill let her ride.....any other suggestions other than regular maintainence to extend her life......

I agree with everyone else. No need to rebuild. If it doesn't burn oil, gets decent gas mileage, and still runs good, keep driving it. Do what you have been doing. It worked so far.

Tom

As Caymen said. What you are doing is working. Just keep up with it. If you keep the oil changed and just do the little things (like you've been doing) it should last for a long time longer.;)