Remember when

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That picture reminded me of the All in the Family t.v. show. Got these lyrics

off of their website (Yes, Virginia, All in the Family has a website!!!)

Full Version

"Boy, the way Glen Miller played. Songs that made the Hit Parade. Guys like us, we had it made. Those were the days! Didn't need no welfare state. Everybody pulled his weight Gee, our old LaSalle (a car) ran great. Those were the days! And you knew where you were then! Girls were girls and men were men. Mister, we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again. People seemed to be content. Fifty dollars paid the rent. Freaks were in a circus tent. Those were the days! Take a little Sunday spin, go to watch the Dodgers win. Have yourself a dandy day that cost you under a fin (five dollar bill). Hair was short and skirts were long. Kate Smith really sold a song. I don't know just what went wrong! Those Were the Days!"

Amen, Archie!!!:D

I remember when premium hit 65 cents a gallon in 1979, I almost cried. Had a Firebird at the time that would pass anything on the road but a gas station. :lol:

I remember when gas crossed the $1.00 mark and some people were saying they were going to quit driving. :lol:

Wasn't that long ago, maybe five or six years, that 79 cents was the going rate.

The good old days. We didn't know how good we had it.

When I first got my license here in Jersey 13 years ago, there were still gas stations selling gas for under $1.00 I could fill up my tank for less then $10, now $10 doesn't even get me to work and back. Funny how my income has not increased at the same rate :blink:

At least it's not this price.... yet. Another hurricane and who knows?

[Broken External Image]:

I remember when gas was $0.19 a gallon, you got your oil checked, your windows washed and a free gift with a fill up ( like a glass or something). I also remember cigaretts at $0.19 a pack and the penny change was inside the wrapper pack. BTW remember GREEN stamps and PLAID stamps?

I remember .79 cents.

I almost soiled my pants the other day when I hit the $10 mark and barely had 3 gallons.

Cheapest I remember as a kid was 23.9 cents per gal. My Dad bitched when we took a vacation to Yellowstone Nat'l Park in 1971, and we had to pay 39.9 cents per gal for gas! :)

I remember driving my 350 Nova on a date,,, 15 miles to pick her up, 30 miles to the beach, 30 miles cruizing the beach, 30 miles to take her home and 15 back to my house. ALL for a tank of gas... 5 BUCKS! And who said they would walk instead of paying $1.00 for a gallon of gas???:eek::p

When I first got to Oklahoma in 1969 I was in a college town. Gas was averaging about 21.9 cents/gallon.

About 2 months later, there was a 'gas war' and several stations were selling it for 11.9 and 12.9 cents/gallon.

Now a gas war would be $1.999/gallon.

:blink:

Yep! How well I remember those days of 2 or 3 of us scraping a dollar together for gas so we could cruise around town. That would buy at least 5 gallons at off brand stations, maybe 4 at Shell, Texaco, etc.

As late as 1967 when I had my 40 mpg Simca I brought home from France gas was still around 25 cents/gal.

A gas war in Seattle was going on and it was around 16 or 17 cents/gal.

Heck, candy bars were a nickle as were cupcakes.....

I remember when gas passed $1.00. Everybody was yelling for cars that get better gas milage.

The Honda Civic was advertized to get 55 mpg highway. 25 to 30 years later hybreds are getting

just a little better gas milage. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator: