Remove "CAM LOCK" factory Alignment Lock?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
I had my Trac in at the Ford dealer for wheel rotation/balance on Friday to see if they can do anything about the horrible vibration with the Goodyear RT/S tires. (Mine have 38,000 miles on them and have over half the tread but the front ones get cupped all the time, so I rotate them every 6000-8000 miles).

Anyway, the service guy called me at work and talked me into a wheel alignment, even though the trac doesn't pull at all and the steering wheel is dead-nuts level/centered going straight down the highway.

When I went to pick it up, they charged me $39.95 for the rotation and balance; $39.95 for the wheel alignment; and $39.95 to "Remove the factory cam lock, RH side". I asked what the factory cam lock charge was, and the service advisor said it is a metal piece in my console-- a 1" square x 1/4" thick chunk of metal with a 1/2" hole in the center, and there are some very sharp barbs on the edges of the square. He said that it is a lock that holds the factory alignment setting, and if they change the alignment, they have to remove this locking piece to allow the change in a new position. He said it isn't needed, because they crank the bolt down tight and it never slips without the cam lock. He said only the right side needed adjusting--the left side is still locked OK in the factory setting.

Anyone know anything about this? I have heard about shim kits for adjusting the alignment, but not anything about locks.

The truck steers and handles exactly the same. I don't notice any difference except that the cupped tire noise is now in the rear.

Thanks

Gavin, I'm guessing when you say Goodyear RTS you mean Goodyear WRANGLER RTS tires and if thats the case, your tires are the problem. Search the forum and you will see that these tires cup terribly and cause all kids of vibration problems. :angry: Mine wore OK as far as mileage went but I rotated them every 5,000 miles and they still cupped and vibrated. Replaced them with a set of MICHELIN SUV X-Terarrains, world of difference. My advice, ditch the Goodyears !!:)

I'm in the process of having a Goodyear shop remove the camber kit they installed because ever since they went in I've had metal on metal tapping or squeeking. Long story short, I'm going back to stock and went to a Ford dealership to get the parts that Goodyear discarded when they put in their kit. The parts clerk printed out a diagram for me so we can verify what parts were needed and in it are indeed these square-type washers, part# '3C203, that go on each bolt. They come in several different widths (depends on what is required) and I didn't know which one I needed. However, I believe these will be discarded anyway when I have the OEM adjustable washers installed.