Running rough

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have any of you had your ST to just start acting like it is running out of gas? It will idle ok but when you mash the gas it tries to stall out. A mechanic told us that if the check engine light doesn't stay on for a while that it won't store any codes. We cut the truck off and start it back and it runs fine again. Our ST is a 03 4X4.

Thanks for any help

Did the check engin light come on at least one time??? ANd not when it stalled...

There will be a code stored...

Can try to Clean the MAF sensor.

Could also be a bad fuel filter or pump...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
The engine light has never come on other than the short time while starting. I thought about the fuel filter but it dont seem like it would run good after you cut it off and restart.

The ST is a weird vehicle, things like that can happen....

Todd Z

Mine takes a dump about once every 2-3 months and runs very rough with very little power until restarted. Dealer says nothing wrong and no codes.

I had the same problem with my '01 ST. Never tripped the check engine light. On the other hand, my daughter's '97 Explorer with the same engine never misses a lick.

I just had the same problem happen to me last night, but my check engine light did come on. It stalled exactly like you guys were saying though, as soon as I restarted, haven't had a problem.