safety locks on '02 ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes there are child safety locks on the two rear passenger doors. Look closely just above the reciever hitch on the swinging door. There is a little lever that moves up and down vertically.

Im not sure if up or down is lock or un-lock, but im sure you can figure that out with trial and error :p

Also I am not sure ALL trucks have them, just wanted to clarify that incase you cant find it. (Im covering my self, but pretty sure child safety locks are a standard for all vehicles.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a simiar issue, but it wasn't the child locks. The cheap plastic handle mechanism was the fault. They were actually pretty easy to change.

If that's the real problem, do a search and the part numbers have been listed on this site previously.

If your doors have been opening fine and all of a sudden they are not.... My guess is the inside handles as mentioned above. They are a common fault with the Trac. However, it is worth looking to see if one of your kids or someone else did flip the lever on the child locks.

They handles are pretty cheap to buy and easy to change.

My 02 is doing the same on the drivers side door. Already confirmed it's not the safety locks. Can someone please elaborate a little more on this handle mechanism? What part do I need?

I've gone thru 4 of these in my '02. the replacements they give you now seem to be better that the originals. they cost about $10 each after i complained to the dealer that these part should last as long as the vehicle, and i insisted they give them to me at wholesale. they are easy to change, 4 screws in the door panel, pop it off, two screws in the handle itself, remove the rod and transfer to new handle. while i was in the door, i greased everything related to the handle, as well as the new gear mechanisim in the handle. so far, so good....

Today my drivers side door handle stopped working..To get in i have to open the back door and open it with the inside door handle..Would it be the plastic mechanism in my front door that is the problem?

Does anyone have the part number for the drivers side outer door handle mechanism or know where i could find it?

I don't have to buy a whole new handle do I?