Shooting at the Helicopters?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee, now that makes sense. I have not heard of this yet.

Lets takeout the people that are trying to help us???????????

Makes sense to me.

Crazy ....I am right here in Houston. We are already seeing the affects on traffic etc..I feel for the ones that need help and are in need, but the idiots make it hard for the other people..:angry:

Unbelievable. CNN is reporting "that a National Guardsman was shot and wounded on Wednesday and that there had been reports that a Chinook helicopter was shot at Thursday while trying to evacuate people". :(

If this was happening in Iraq, or someplace else, I suspect that much of the general sentiment here would be to say to hell with it, if they're going to shoot at the help, pull out and let 'em die. (I'm not preaching--I'll admit that I'd have trouble not feeling that way myself.) Feels a little different, though, when it's people in your own country doing it, doesn't it?

So, it's possible for those that come in to try to help a people to get attacked by those they are trying to help. And, that can happen in this country.

Wow, so I guess the fact that our troops were being attacked in Iraq doesn't really mean that the Iraqis people, by and large, don't want them there, as liberals claimed!

Maybe there are just a few, fringe nutjobs whereever you go!

TJR

Never uderestimate the power of stupidiity.

If only Britney Spears would pray for everyone down there, the world would be a better place.

Tom

Here's another thought to ponder about some of the people being moved from the Superdome to the Astrodome. I'm not saying that I totally agree with it, but it's definitely something to consider:

Right now there are hundreds of busses on the highway transporting refugees from the Superdome in New Orleans to the Astrodome in Houston, Texas. Somebody needs to tell Houston that trouble is on the way.

How many people are going to be bussed to the Astrodome? Twenty thousand? Thirty? Many, perhaps most of these people have nothing left in New Orleans. They have no homes to return to, no personal belongings, no jobs. There is no reason for them to go back, and there is no law that can keep them confined to the Astrodome. They're not under arrest. They will be free to leave when they wish, and go where they want. These aren't the cream of the crop. Some of the people who will take up residence -- for a while -- may have been looting jewelry stores in New Orleans yesterday. Many are from the various New Orleans welfare housing projects.

Are you ready, Houston?

Source of quote:

Question I have is where did all the white folks go? Seems the superdome was all blacks? Not trying to start anything but it seems very strange.... Anyone know?

It was mentioned earlier on the news that is seems to have a huge population of "Non-Caucasian" that were affected. Not my term, it is a quote from the news room.

Once it was said I did notice that the vast percentages of the TV shots and News Papers seem to have pictures of black families.

I would have thought that the storm would have affected all the races in general. Maybe the worst damage was done in an area where there is a large population of black families. As in most cities you normally seem to get mostly whites in one area, blacks in another, Hispanics in yet another....

So who knows....

Andy-- In my mind, that's all the more reason to give the leaders and people of Texas credit for making such an offer of assistance. Especially when you consider that those who truly have nothing left to go back to, might not go back.

Coastie and Josey-- It's more of a result of economic class than of color. It's mostly the poor that are still in the city, and in New Orleans, the poor are mostly black. I read somewhere on the net in the past couple days that in New Orleans, the more affluent people live at higher elevations, while the poor live at lower elevations. Apparently, it's always been this way throughout the city's history, and when you think about how flood potential would impact land values in a city so close to sea level, it makes sense. So the poor were the hardest hit. Combine that with the fact that many of the poor there don't have cars or other transportation options, and they had no means to get out of Katrina's way.

I think that the reason for the larger number of blacks at the Superdome is due to the larger black population of New Orleans. Also, New Orleans has a large bus and streetcar system so many people in these large urban areas do not own cars since they are not needed and are an added expense. My guess is that many of the blacks are poorer and less likely to have transportation to get out of town. Perhaps the lack of vehicles by many people was not considered in the city's evactuation plan?

My understanding from the news reports is that the Superdome is now infested with rival gangs trying to take control of what ever exists there. I may envolve a military assault on the Superdome to round up these gangs and dump them into Lake Ponchutrane!

That's why I said in another post that they need to declare Martiall Law in New Orleans and give the police and military the authority to shoot to kill looters on site, and that goes for anyone pulling a weapon or failing to disarm on command. There are too many innocent people in danger to spend any time dealing with these thugs.

I think once a few loots and gang members get shot and thrown in the steet, the rest will see that the police and military are not there to play games. That's probably what they need to do in Iraq as well.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Rich, that's good and all, but in NO, the street gangs have more powerful, and just more guns than the police. Heck, my grandpa had several hand guns, and a shotgun that he keeps under the bed. He's 87. And I know for a fact that he has used one of his hand guns; he hated that he had to, but it was a choice of survival (it was before I was born that he used it on a man who broke in through the back door) One black man gets shot in downtown and every white officer/military personel will be more at risk for at least the next few years.

Most of my family does live on the "white" side of town, and I still get scared to take my little brother down the block to the playground at the church at 3:00pm in the afternoon, and unless I'm with my parents or a lot of friends (Sugar Bowl in January for example) I don't go out during the night.

Jeff C, no offense, but why would anyone choose to live like that? Move out!

We live the choices we make.

TJR

I don't know. It's not my life, and I can't tell my grandparents how to live. My parents chose not to live like that, so they moved to Hoover, AL. They left so that I could have a future, and I'm sure I don't thank them enough for that.

Oh, I misunderstood...I thought you meant you still lived there where you were scared walking your little bro down the street.

Old people get set in their ways. They remember when the neighborhood was better and are stubborn and feel that if they leave they have been beaten.

Of course, if they don't leave, the might get literally beaten.

TJR

Most of these people are poor by choice. They have been receiving handouts from the government for so long they would not even think of working. No different from the homeless people on the street corners. Until our government quits subsidizing the poor then this will continue to happen. What's sad is the mindset of some of these people. This is a quote from one of them that was in the newspaper yesterday morning about the looting: "People who are oppressed all their lives, man, it's an opportunity to get back at society".

When are these people going to quit blaming others for their laziness?

Latest posts