Speakers causing much noise.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Mackey

Reaction score
I'm almost done with my install!

Now, the only problem is the left side is noisy as hell. It picks up noises when changing songs and such, and also has a loud buzzing noise to it when nothing is playing. I'm confused though because the right side and the subwoofer and extremley quiet. Could this be a grounding issue, or a wiring issue? The amp is grounded to the metal frame of my car.

EDIT: So MAYBE it's coming out the right speaker as well, I couldn't tell when I checked last. My best guess is that it's a grounding issue, it makes noise when I turn on lights and such.

yeah, could definitely be a grounding issue. measure the resistance between your ground and the negative terminal on the battery. you should get a low reading. also, check to see if any wires are shorted to ground, such as speaker wires and signal cables (dont forget to check behind your radio; I have had the outer shield on signal cables touch metal dash supports and cause all kinds of wierd noises). one other possible cause could be radiated noise. an easy way to check is to see whether or not the noise gets louder as you turn the volume up.

Try switching the speakers left to right, if the noise moves, the problem is the speaker(s), if it doesn't, its the wiring going to the left side speakers. Narrowing down and elimination is an important beginning to trouble diagnostics, often over looked.

2 most popular wiring mistakes are bad ground and running the power/ground on the same side as your speaker cables.... if you are doing either than stop.... haha

Quote "2 most popular wiring mistakes are bad ground and running the power/ground on the same side as your speaker cables.... if you are doing either than stop.... haha"

Yep if you have the power wires on the same side as the speaker wires you will get the noise. Also are you using the low imputs on the amp or the high. If you are using the high you will get the noise as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooo...

I moved the speaker wiring inputs on the amp, (FL is now FR), and now the noise is on the right. What does that mean?

I also switched around the RCAs to see if it was the cable making the noise, and the buzzing always came out of the same speaker.

Is it only doing it when the car is running? If so, a noise elliminator (sp) (ground loop noise isolator) will probably work. From what you have done already, it sounds like maybe the one side of the amp is going.:(