stinky exhaust

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ted moore

Reaction score
the exhaust on my truck is very stinky after a hard excelaration.(i think that is spelled right) it smells like rotten eggs. it goes in tomorrow to the dealer for cruise control problem , should i just add this to my list? is there anything the dealer can do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you referring to your truck's exhaust, or your exhaust? I don't think the dealer is qualified to deal with your exhaust.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. It's just the way my brain is wired.

Rotten egg smell has traditionally been a problem with certain fuel mixtures reacting with the catalytic converters in the exhaust. You might try a different brand of fuel to see if it makes a difference. Certainly tell the dealer about it. They may be able to recommend a brand of fuel, or maybe check things out for you to see if it's something else.

Hey! No fair editing your question!

Mine smells like rotten eggs, but I have no catalytic converter.

Must have been the egg, sardine, and hot sauce sandwich at 4am.

I really hear it sometimes from my '05 too, Scott... enough that I noticed it, and I almost never did with my F150. Think it's just a ST thing.

Mine used to do it a little, now I have the y-pipe and it does it A LOT. Doesn't bother me any.

I hear it all the time it goes on for 15 minutes and i wonder if thats bad or not. I checked under my car and it was look some pipe going to my exhaust is making the noise, what could that be

?

Scott said,

" When I come back from a trip and park in the garage and shut the trac off I hear a LOT of ping-crack-tick-click-ping-snap-etc. I know this is most likely the cat contracting as it cools, and I have heard it with all my past vehicles, but the trac is particularly noisy."

He is correct, this is what your hearing. The catylitic converter cooling down, that's all.

Sometimes, the gas we put in our vehicles is poor. Period. Ford suggestes BP Amoco fuels. I use Conoco, (it's made in the USA) and Amoco. I don't have Mobil or Exxon here, but their good, too. These all have detergents and will help. I also use Slick 50 fuel system cleaner every tire rotation. Lastly, make sure you don't use cheap motor oil. ;)

ted;

exhilaration;(v,t.,): The feeling you and your wife get when you are at "one"

with each other...;

acceleration;(v.): The feeling you and your Trac get when you are at "one"

with each other.

The pinging ,and, what I refer to as the crackling sound from the exhaust,

on cool-down, is what is referred to as "Thermo-Cycling", especially if you

have driven it somewhat hard in your last few miles of driving, before pulling

into the driveway and shutting it off immediately.

I have noticed this myself. It is normal on almost all new vehicles, with the

closer tolerances, and all, in everything from engine components to chassis

and exhaust systems, some of us mechanics refer to it as the "Rice Krispie

Syndrome" ( Snap, Crackle, Pop!).

Funny, but true, and normal!:lol:

Latest posts