Sub box quality

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My box is .45 cu ft.

My sub's manufacturer specs this for the sub:

0.50 cu. ft. (16.42 liters)

Range: 0.40 cu. ft. - 1.0 cu. ft.

Range: (11.33 liters - 28.32 liters)

Those #s look alittle different than mine. Do u have the measurements of ur box? I was looking at 12x15x7.25 (for the floorboard part of rear pass. seat) then add another 12x8x6 to it (which is the part that goes over the hump in the middle). I come up w/ 1.08 cu ft??

I don't have the measurements here, but the hump height needs to carry under the seat so you have some room for excursion.

Right. I est. about 1.5 in for that hump. Im hoping my #s are correct cuz if it ends up in the .5 cu ft range, Im afraid my sub will sound horrible. I would think I need atleast .75-1 cu ft to get decent sound quality.

Okay, I found a tape measure and the first box I built. On the second, I just used thicker MDF and coated it with line-x to match the floor.

Picture the sub box sitting in place, with you sitting on a chair outside the back door.

Top left to right - 13"

Bottom left to right - 14"

Back up to down - 3 3/4"

Front up to down - 5 1/2"

On the farthest passenger's side end, you need to add a strip of 5/8" MDF to keep the sub off of the floor.

Hope it helps.

Great thanks. But to confirm, 13" is the top of the box, from left to right (pass. towards drivers side) 14" is bottom of box (left to right), 3.75" in height in the rear, and 5.5 in height in the front. If this is correct, what is the depth of it (from the 5.5" to the 3.75" measurement)?

I think I figured it out. Say u were looking at it from birds eye view (right over the top) with woofer facing down. The #s would be 14" is length, 13" is depth, and 5.5" front and 3.75" rear is height. Is this correct?

Based on those #s in my previous post, your box is .48 cu ft (which closes matches urs), so my #s should be accurate as well. Thats good news.

Hmm...that was my initial thought. Do u have the length measurement? Does it stop at the hump, or did u extend it over the hump?

Gotcha. That puts it @ around .86 cu ft minus the hump. I see. Mine should be good then. THanks for the help Dingo.

You shouldn't have two of the same subs in enclosures with different airspace. Both for the drivers and the amp. They will have different response and will not be in sync as well as they should be. 1.08 and 1.75 is a huge difference. I'm thinking you're wiring them to a 1 chan (mono) amp right?

Since your goal is to gain more quality sound out of this rebuild you need to make sure the airspace is the same in both boxes imo.

I wont be. I think the 1 will be enough for what Im looking for, and if its not I will do the behind the seat one as well. Of course will be adding separate amp for that one. Just pray the one under sounds good enough.

MPTonyT, hows that sound? I bet thats exactly what Im looking for in sound quality. Plus the box is nicely crafted, ported and all. Good work.

Latest posts