Sub box quality

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that sounds about right. The box I built is 6.5 @ bottom and 4.5 @ top. I had to make a baffle to extend the woofer out the box in order to fit the magnet. Not nearly enough room.

Yeah, you need to redesign your box. There must be enough airspace and room if you split them up and did a box behind the seat and one under. It would be best if they were the same airspace and the same shape on the inside.

Would them firing in different directions effect the SQ...anyone?

i'm amazed you could get a box that big in behind your 08 STA....? this is with all the panels etc pulled out i assume? and with the baffle, the seats still lock in place?

my first instinct would be to tell you to invest in some shallow mount subs....if you can put a box that size , a shallow mount will sound really nice in there. you can get a good one for less than $150...

But, if you want to fit this one in and have the space in a current box, you will get added space with a fiberglass box. i haven't seen the back of an 08, but can you use the entire back wall? what in particular are your questions regarding FG?

Doesn't Omni mean one? Thus, indicating that it's directional. I know bass isn't directional but some subs are designed to fire most efficently in a certain direction(s). Something about weight and gravity :p

Well my question is...does it matter how the box is shaped? Does it help to have more mounting depth behind the speaker or would it be the same either way? For example, if I added more width and height to the box, but obviously cant alter the depth...would it sound better?

if you build a sealed enclosure, the shape of it is irrelevant. as long as the enclosure has the right airspace for your sub, and is sealed well, it can be any shape.

From what I understand, the shape does matter. You would mount the sub in whatever area has the most depth or whatever placement could net you the same amount of airspace around the subs.

RS, so only having like an inch between the bottom of the magnet and the speaker wall isnt a problem. I just need to make sure the box is the right cubic feet, correct? And yes I do have an 08STA, and have taken out the plastic panel/storage area...and the seat does latch back in place. It just takes quite the push.

yeah, you mount the sub where there is the most amount of depth, however, in this case that's something that can't be changed - the max he can get is the same along the entire back wall. however, if you can use the entire back wall of the 08 STA, i would suggest doing something similar to my setup, dividing it into two seperate sealed partitions, and placing one sub in each. if you can go higher and wider, you will get more air space and that's what needed for the subs in question.

I'd really need to see a picture of what you're working with back there RedSTA.... like this is the space i had to work with:

[Broken External Image]:

looking at this i can see that there is a deeper space on the right side, by the green tape, and less on the left side where the motor protudes...i have no experience with how your backwall looks like...?

Yes good info. As u know there is alittle more depth (not much more tho) right behind the left and right sides of back seat (the middle sticks out alittle further). So I could build one the length of that wall and go slightly deeper on the sides, then make the box higher as well? That would create more air space and a slight difference in depth as well. Do u think this would be worthy of doing or better to put one back there only (to give more air space), and then another under the pass. side rear seat?

It wouldn't change the bass response if the driver cone had access to a flat, level surface to fire at and more space between it and the said surface? That doesn't sound right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right. My experience is that the deeper the box (distance between subs and back wall) the better it sounds.

My F150 subs, and my STA subs will nearly touch the inside back wall. They still sounded amazing and the response was awesome. They were both wedge style boxes. Maybe the difference is so minute in a sealed enclosure it just isn't audible to the human ear.

It makes sense that the air space directly behind the cone would directly effect the ability of the driver to produce air movement and pressure. I'm just not sure if it's an important equation in a sealed enclosure.

Maybe it matters, maybe it dont. I just stick w/ original plan for now. Ill post pics and update once I get it done. Hopefully will get to it this weekend. Thanks everyone for the help!

Red STA, if you can utilize the back wall and it looks kinda like the pic i posted, then i would put both back there...that's just me. if you build them right, than in theory, one under the seat and one behind the seat will still give the same output...but if you can go higher and wider and build two seperate chambers behind the seat, it would also be an easier build for you (if you were to FG)...what is the rec. airspace in a sealed enclosure for your subs??

psycareyo - the kickers i have allow you to mount the sub directly up against the backwall of your enclosure...it's how they are designed. i know traditional drivers need more space behind them. but i think you are correct...in a sealed enclosure, it may not matter that much...i'm not too read-up on that...from your experience with the wedge boxes in 2 different types of vehicles, they both sounded good, so thats good personal experience.

Well I kinda thot it would be better to put one only in the back to maximize the available space back there, and then have another (separate and differently shaped) box under. That way it may create a different sound and possibly better with the additional airspace. Im comparing it to my old setup (with seat down). The box was ported and approx. 3.5-4 cubic feet, and they sounded great in that. I think my subs require .7-1.25 each.

Latest posts