Sub box quality

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.7 min sealed. You should be able to do that and mount them both behind the seat. I don't know where the hell you're going to put the amps though.

From what I've learned, if you do two modular boxes, as long as the airspace is the same for both boxes you should be fine. You don't want them having different airspace. They will not play the same and that will not be good for the drivers or the amp.

Amp shouldnt be a prob. I have it mounted under the seat right now. But do only have one amp. So having two different sized boxes may be a bad idea, I never thot of that. And I didnt use mdf on the last but prob will on the next

I only have one amp for my two modular boxes but they are exactly the same.

That's something I want to research more. I've heard that you don't want to use super stiff material. MDF is like the perfect wood to build an enclosure for some reason. Not really sure why!

I will be sure to use MDF next time. Id hate to go thru the hassle of building it and lose the quality im looking for because of the material.

mdf is the best material to use for the walls of your enclosure, since its high density minimizes panel vibrations and results in a more efficient enclosure. also, it is one of the easiers materials to work with - cuts easy, takes shape, you dan't really splinter it, and great properties like taking resins, glues and fibergalss...

you could mount your amp under your seat....

Here is another way you could do this...it was done by a member here and i found it in my many searchs....a downfiring underseat box. the dimensions are perfect for your enclosure, and if you are contemplating putting a box under the seat anyways, you are not too worried about folding down your seats. this will also give you room on your back wall for your amp...and the 6" mounting depth is also perfect for your subs.

this uses 1/2 inch mdf for construction to get teh space. my advise would be to by some resin, mix it with the supplied MEKP hardner, and with a cheapo paintbrush, soak it into the mdf along all joints and seams....

[Broken External Image]:

Looks interesting, but not sure it would fit. 7.5 height seems to high to fit under the seat??? Plus its downfiring? Wouldnt it be muffled or would it need a port or something?

i'm sure you could add a divider plate in there and make 2 seperate chambers in there.

if you look closely, as and when you build down-firing boxes, they are raised of the ground as the side panels are longer...kinda like table legs. you'd have to measure to be sure, but it could be an option....like i said i am not too sure about 08 STA interiors....

I see the extra extension "leg" thing. I just figured with it firing in the floor that it wouldnt travel properly. Seems strange to me...U mean the 07+ ST and the STAs are different inside? I thot it was just the appearance??

It wouldn't sound or feel any different than one against your back wall. It also won't be muffled. Bass waves are not directional and the bass is made by the cone and motor structure inside the box, not on the surface you see or face of the sub.

hahaha - well i'm not familiar with the 07's either! i have an 05...

if you apply sounddeadener to the floor, you should get really good results. it's a very common method of box construction for truck bench seats, and console sub enclosures....

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

with amps mounted on it:

1e3965f1550a341451dfa4c983b0a616.jpg

here is one bhind the seats...

[Broken External Image]:

as used in a home theater application:

0c426570ff32e25e58f2529bc1b95093.jpg

Not quite sure how it would sound better facing down, so Ill experiment w/ an existing box and see the difference. Then I will determine which is the best route. Thanks for the pics also that helps me.

depends what you want in your subs you wanna slam bass then no subs behind the seat or under it will sound the same if you fold your seat down and build a box to spec......plus you get what you pay for so if money is low for you, save up till you can build sometin nice, my box fills up my back seat except for that little seat, so someone still can ride in the back without being sqeezed in....just my .02

you can get a little boom and nice tone from behind the seat. i dont know about under cause i personally have never done it but everyone says dingo's sounds great.

he best way to describe how mine sounds is like a concert. The door speakers are a major part of that, though.

I did some measuring last nite. I looks like I can get about 1.08 cu ft under the seat for 1 of them...and then can easily get 1.75 cu ft in the rear for the second (if necessary). Also bought the materials last nite, so time to get to work...

Latest posts