the blinking O/D light!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan betts

Reaction score
so, last night while coming home my O/D light started flashing. i read some of the previous posts on this and see that it is some thing wrong with the transmission. is this the only thing that the light is linked to or could it be another problem?? what exactly causes the "blinking light of death"? also, i have the extended warranty on the trac, will this be covered by it?

Thanks, Ryan

Guessing your ST is a 2001 or 2002 and not knowing the mileage, I would say GET it looked at ASAP, It could be the valvbody gasket starting to leak or a solenoid weakining...

Could cost 400-700 to repair rather than 2,000....

Todd Z

YES, there are many updated parts and things that can be installed, AND i think there is a TSB on that as well....

I would get it to the dealer ASAP.... AND do not reset the computer or any thing that may clear the blinking light...

Todd Z

Todd Z, do you think that this would be covered under warranty?

If you got the extended warranty then yes. If no extended warranty, you pay for the repair yourself.

Tom

I have extended warranty, but I've always changed the fluid myself. IF I were to have tranny problems, do you guys think I'd get coverage resistance for not having receipts of flushings? Sorry for the hi-jack, and thanks. :)

I had the same occurance a few months ago. It was the Valve Body on mine...cost was about $850.00. But all totallt covered under warranty.

Fred, as long as you have the receipts for the fluid and stuff changed, You are covered, But they can take it apart to look..... IF you don't have the receipts you may have issues...

Todd Z

My sister has a '99 explorer with the same transmision. At 100k miles it has only had one fluid and filter change. She has never had any problems with it. I drove it and it still shifts and performs like new. Why is there so much trouble with the newer ones???

Receipts not needed. Ford has to prove that you failed to follow the recommended maintenance schedule and that failing to follow the recommended maintnenance schedule CAUSED the failure.

I guess that might be hard for them to prove, since my tranny fluid is always so clean and pretty and red and the inside of my pan is basically spotless. When I cut the original filter apart at 30K, there wasn't all that much gunk in it, and at 40K the replacement filter looked even better. I'm going to wait till 55K before I change it again. :cool:

Latest posts