The One That Got Away - Cars You Wish You'd Bought

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreman

Reaction score
The recent post about how fast you've ever driven a car brought many old cars back to memory, especially cars that I wish I'd bought and locked away somewhere! Here's my list:

1. 1970 Plymouth Superbird - rusted trunk, 4 different bald tires, a dead clutch, suspension was shot, all for $5,000 in 1980. I even found financing for it! I actually saw it later, and it was listed (after restoration) for $90,000! It was still quick, even with the bad clutch.

2. 1969, 70, 71 (I'm not sure) 427 Corvette convertible - I was 18, and they wouldn't even consider letting me fire it up unless I came up with some money up front!

3. 1969 Mustang Mach I - no engine, trans, or rear end, but most of the rest of it was there. For $500, no less! And I came across a complete 428CJ engine later for $200! At least I did buy that!

4. 1961 Chrysler Newport Station Wagon - I actually owned this one for awhile, but it never saw the street. My grandfather sold it to me to tinker with after he wrecked it. Again, found a parts car after I let it go! I liked the tailfins on that car better than any others I've seen.

5. 1970 Olds Cutlass 442 - A friend owned this one, and I tuned it up for him. He said he wanted to sell it, but he wanted $800 cash right now. I didn't have it, so it went to someone else.

Various friends had cars they didn't want to sell when I asked, but sold later before I found out about it. Like a 1970 Pontiac Grand Prix 455, or 1970 Dodge Challenger 383. Heck, I even wanted my uncle's 1973 Dodge Dart 340, but he never would give me a firm price, then he sold it to someone else for less than we'd been discussing! I guess I wasn't his favorite nephew!

It also really galls me that I could have gone into most any car dealership in the 1980's and bought a decent used musclecar for payments that I could have afforded. It may have been more than I wanted to pay, but I could have done it! Maybe I need to think like that now!

Could have gotten a 2006 Yellow & Grey Foose stallion for a GREAT Price last summer. I went the following week to make the deal.....it was leaving on a flatbed for Indiana as I pulled on the lot!

33093555b11719fef2da8bf67cb8a880.jpg

65 Shelby cobra (427) went and looked at it every day walking home from School.

Sat on the showroom floor for a year,nobody would buy it $5800.00.

Dealer finaly w,saled it to another dealer:(

Still might have a chance at this one, but it sits down at my uncles farm. Its a 58 Mercury Monterey. 18.5 feet long, w/ tail fins, black, roll down rear window, push button shifting...It was my dad's car, he stored it w/ a dead battery 25 years ago. It will take some work, I just don't have a big enough garage and I have to convince my uncle to give it to me.

Oh and if I could, my ex-uncle and my aunt had a 71 mustang mach 1 w/ a 429 cobra jet engine in it. Everything original, 29K miles in 2004.:wub:

Heck with wish I'd bought, here are a couple I wish I KEPT:

- 1957 Ford F-100 Pickup

- 1973 Chevy Nova SS Fastback w/ 350 V8

I reconditioned both (the best that a teen can) and then drove them until I got sick of them and then sold them for pennies. I sold both for under $300 each in the mid-late 80s, and both ran, and ran well when I sold them.

If I only knew then what I know now, they would have been put up on blocks in a barn.

TJR

1966 Galaxie 500 2-door hardtop with a 289. When I was in high school, my dad and I ran a service station in town, and had this little old lady whose husband bought the car brand new. The only thing wrong with it was the color. It was baby poop green. The car was in mint condition. I tried to talk my dad into seeing if she would sell the car to us. When she died, her grandkids took the car and totalled it. :(

'68 shelby gt 500,$3800 in 1974. Motor had been replaced by a ford mech. with a 428 cobrajet. Bought my first harley instead. DUMB!!

For you young guys.

Are future classics being made now that say in 30 yrs will turn out to be wise investments.

New camaro, challanger, some stangs.

Are all MAJOR gas hogs if driven as intended (My Roush gets 2.7 MPG under boost)

In 5 yrs these cars will be dinosaurs and no longer built.

People say never buy a car as an investment, very true short term.

But look at the past, if I could have bought that 65 Shelby, in 65, today the car is worth a couple Mil.

'69 Mustang Convertible with stock from factory 428 CobraJet, AC and rare Pony Interior. I had it, bought for $1100 in 1976, beat it and sold for $500 2 years later when I went to college. Maybe 60 total with those options.:(

Back in mid 80's when I got my license, my older stepbrother was big into Road Runners...he had one that he drove a couple he used for parts. I used to think they were ugly, he had a kid and ended up selling them to get a more "practical" car. Here we are 22 years later and Road Runners are worth some serious cash!!!!!!!

I had a '70 Cougar XR7 with a 351 Cleveland under the hood back in High School (graduated in '82). Spend all my $$ on the motor - just had it primered. Buddy of mine called it the "Big Gulp" because he swore he could see the gas gauge go down as we were flyin down the roads. Had a good time in it, but sold it several years later for a pickup (getting older & more practical). Hindsight being 20-20, what a stupid move on my part.

I miss the Big Gulp . . .

2005 Lincoln Town Car

Yes this is probably bad in some peoples minds but the car was leftover dealer stock and the asking price for new was 15000 for a 40000 car. Absolutely nothing wrong with the car as is still had all the factory protective coverings and other materials still on it with 12 miles. Its still in the family though as my brother bought it on the spot.

'55 Chevy Bel Air convertible... beautiful, red and white, in really good shape. It didn't need much. Was sitting in my ex-girlfriend's garage, and I practically begged her mom to sell it to me. My dad and I were gonna restore it.

GF's mom said "No, I'm keeping it for when Mark (young son) gets old enough." Turns out Mark when the criminal route, and may still be in the pokey for all I know.

She ended up selling the car to a stranger...:(

1969 Camero. Mint condition. 6 cyl. At the time I had a complete Corvette LS1 powertrain that I bought on eBay. It was $3500 in 2000. I scouted it the day before and it was 100% metal. I didn't have the cash on me to buy it so I told him I would be back the next day. He didn't believe me and sold it 15 minutes before I got there. The buyer brought the cash and a flatbed to haul it off with. Owned by a 77 year old man who was fighting cancer. The following month I saw the car in Champlain, NY at a gas station/ hobby auto dealer for $10,000. It sold one week later for his asking price. I've never seen the car around since then.

66 GTO. I had a 66 LeMans Convertible, which was a beautiful car but I longed for the GTO with the 389 instead of the measly 326 I had.

It was about 10 yrs ago, 1990 BMW 325is in very mint condition, went to look at the car with my friend, test drove it and was very impressed with the car, but my friend told me that there is a Mercedez Benz 190E Evo2 for sale for about the same price but the car was in another city, decided to look at the Mercedez first for comparison before making a decision on which car to buy, the Mercedez turned out to be an ordinary 190E with an Evo2 body kit!Went back to the BMW after about an hour but somebody was already buying the car when we arrived.

I looked at a '69 Boss 429 at a local dealership and they wanted 3,999 for it. It was about 3 or 4 years old at the time. I said they were nuts and they'd never get it. Shows what I knew.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts