THE SOPRANOS!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The whole point of the final episode is exactly what you saw in the final scene.

These people live their entire lives in constant fear. There will always be someone with a grudge or a score to settle who will come back and blast them in the face with a shotgun. The ominous feeling that he set up at the diner was how they would live the rest of their lives!

Killing Phil is not a solution to much - Remember the coke dealer guy in clear and present danger? "I want to kill the entire family - I don't want anyone's kids around later to avenge the death of their father" Well the mafia is the same way.

The Godfather?? Someone is always going to be the upstart and want to kill to get recognized as a new tough.

This was not scarface. I'm glad.

tony "the fist"

Yes, Tony, I do think that was one of Chase's intents...to show you the stress, fear and paranoia that Tony and family live with and will live under the rest of their lives.

I also thought it was Chase's one last attempt to crank up the viewer anxiety meter, to peg it if you will, and then just yell CUT right at the most tense moment in time when the viewer is wondering "what's going to happen next".

For me, the joke was on me, the viewer, and I literally laughed out loud when I realized "NOTHING" was going to happen. I had been "mind-F'ed."

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
After some searchin.... I like this...

OK, at first I was really angry. I mean really, really angry. I can't

> believe though that no-one has posted by now what happened. The only

> thing I saw that was right, was that in the last scene we are seeing

> through Tony's eyes. Remember when he was speaking with

> Bobby...basically saying that you don't see it happening?

> The credits at the end refer to the man at the counter just as "man in

diner", not Nikki Leotardo.

> So here is what I found out. The guy at the bar is also credited as

> Nikki Leotardo. The same actor played him in the first part of season

> 6 during a brief sit down concerning the future of Vito. That wasn't

> that long ago. Apparently, he is the nephew of Phil. Phil's brother

> Nikki Senior was killed in 1976 in a car accident. Absolutely

> Genius!!!! David Chase is truly rewarding the true fans who pay

> attention to detail.

>

> So the point would have been that life continues and we may never know

> the end of the Sopranos. But if you pay attention to the history, you

> will find that all the answers lie in the characters in the

> restaurant.

> The trucker was the brother of the guy who was robbed by Christopher

> in Season 2. Remember the DVD players?

> The trucker had to identify the body. The boy scouts were in the train

> store and the black guys at the end were the ones who tried to kill

> Tony and only clipped him in the ear (was that season 2 or 3?).

>

> Absolutely incredible!!!! There were three people in the restaurant

> who had reason to kill Tony and then it just ends. This was Chase's

> way of proving that he will not escape his past. It will not go on

> forever despite that he would like it to "don't stop". Not the fans!!!

> Tony would like it to keep going but just as we have to say goodbye,

> so does he. No more Tony and I guess we are supposed to be happy that

> Meadow didn't get clipped as well (she would have been between the

> shooter and Tony) since she is the only one worth a crap in that

> family.

Other than Phil getting whacked,I thought the last episode along with this whole last season was just ''blah''. I wasn't expecting any final closure in the last one , and they certainly left it open for an HBO''special'' or maybe a future movie ,but some unanswered ?'s could have been answered.:)

I never watched a single episode until lastnight so none of it made sense to me, I just wanted to know what to talk about at work today, lol

I ran the above explanation across my dad who watched it from day 1 and he was happy with it, lol

Woppy, I read that same post on HBO.com...I will go back and watch the ep since it's on my DVR, but I don't buy all the connections described. I am skeptical.

I intend to do the same thing tonight TJR. After I watch the closing scene a couple times I'll do my own research and see what I think. I have seen so many good opinions now that I dunno what to believe. But the one thing I am Certain of is that David Chase wrote the nding with the intent of having people decypher the message. Everything in that scene was put there intentionally and it's all a matter of working the puzzle. But I do believe Tony died. hence the silence and darkness.

First of all, the guy who walked and sat at the counter was Phil Leotardo's nephew introduced in some earlier episode. Second, he walked by Tony to go to the bathroom, and as Tony was facing the door, he would be able to get to next to/behind Tony with a gun after he left the restroom.

Not true at all. The guy has never appeared on the show before...

Follow the link!

I figured they built the suspense and left you hanging just to leave you hanging. I do like the idea that that's just how those guys have to live, never knowing when there's a bullet coming with their name on it. That's just how things look to them all the time, always watching who's coming in and going out.

Liked the part where Phil's head got run over and the group of black guys all turn their heads.

[OT]Stuck around HBO to watch "John From Cincinnati", but I wasn't really getting it. For some surfing, "The Lords Of Dogtown" was much better. If you grew up in the 70's, you've GOT to see "Lords Of Dogtown". Come to think, Rebecca DeMorney is in both.[/OT]

Latest posts