Thermostat Housing: Why they leak and permanent fix

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to be a reason the Simmons is almost 3x the price of the Austekk. Thanks for your thorough research Paul.

The reason for Simmons being ridiculously expensive is the sand mold process, requires new molds constantly, which leads to inconsistencies, plus he thought he had market cornered...He has no choice now but to lower his price and spread lies about his competitors quality.

How many years do you have, doing auto work. Mine go's back to 1965, alot of builds and maintenance. Never had any problems with forged or cast parts, especialy on cooling systems. K you dont know what your talking about. Either you are trying to argue for your selve, or your related to the brands that are inferior. Knock it off, getting old hash.
Wow so you are a back yard grease monkey, good for you, I am/was master certified automotive technician with a degree in automotive sciences, my father being a ford engineer, with tons of friends that are engineers....So yea, mind you own, I have seen way more failure due to sand cast than injection molded....Needless to say I know more than you do. So don't try and act like you are smarter than anyone....Very childish of you to attack someone in cyber world, makes you look like you have issues.

I pulled the leaking Austekk housing and installed the one piece Simmons housing. I believe this will cure the leaking thermostat housing once and for all.
Austekk Leak Evidence 2.jpg

Simmons SA-4 Installed.jpg

Well obviously someone was in there based on the ultra grey silicone used on the top housing..... My question is ( trying to be impartial) is I don't see the Austekk name cast on it as I was told they all have.......I see Gaul marks around the nipple, Wrong tools used? Undue pressure on the fitting from the hose? Or was it simply a defect in over 1,000 pieces made? Is this the ONLY one leaking?

So I have open ended questions too before I make my decision based on FACTS....

I disassembled the unit upon receipt and added a ribbon of Permatex 22071 to improve sealing capability around the perimeter.

You can read the ATK markings just to the left of the nipple in the picture from the previous post.

Nothing but rubber hose contacted the nipple, not sure how you see galling on it.
Austekk Leak Evidence.jpg

Last edited:
The Knicks to the left of the nipple..... ALSO any chance the hose was leaking, Old hose on anew smooth nipple with no sealant and just the crappy FORD spring clamp ???
I would have siliconed the top to the bottom too....

I see the ATK lettering but I posted a pic showing the complete name I was told was on every housing.

ALSO the Simmons ones I get still had sand in them and had to be washed, and the hose fittings from the sand casting were not smooth, those needed a thin layer of silicone on the hose nipples, the rad and the heater.

I hope you send that back and Austekk can find the culprit.... I would like to pressure test that fitting and see if it was the hose or fitting..

New hose was installed on that nipple, it did not leak. The leak is at the nipple base.

The video I posted earlier in the thread explains why it leaked. Steel nipple into a straight threaded connection with a silicone bead.

I have ~ 100 miles on truck after installing the Simmons housing, no leak or coolant smell.

I am running Simmons too. Just the sand and silicone was needed.

Again , is the nipple steel or aluminum??
Austekk says aluminum. Your saying steel.
Is this the genuine Austekk housing or the knock off or am I still not being told the facts????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure what facts are missing. The video from Simmons states the Austekk housing uses a steel nipple. From my eBay purchase history, what I received is an Austekk thermostat housing:

Item specifics
Condition: New Temperature: 190F
Brand:
Austekk
Interchange Part Number: RH144, RH165, 2L5Z-8592-BB, 4L5Z-8592-AA
Fitment Type: Performance/Custom Material: Aluminum
Warranty: Lifetime Manufacturer Part Number:
ATK-8592-ACCS
Mounting Hardware Included: Yes UPC:

well, If you have an Austekk housing, what's the Nipple made out of?? Use a magnet, does it stick??

And to my point, YOU nor K Thomas have directly answered the questions. I don't care what Simmons says, he is not on here posting unless he is you ???? that's HIS video...

Thus this thread is useless, claims ( Positive AND Negative) right now are crap.

It is obvious why the nipple leaked, Paul damaged it by disassembling it, likely hit it while undoing the bolts holding the parts together....Shame on him for blaming a part due to negligence.

The nipple was never disassembled. Again, only the hose contacted the nipple.

If the nipple seal could not take normal handling of installation, it would never survive the pressurized, hot, and vibrating zone of where it is mounted.

The nipple was never disassembled. Again, only the hose contacted the nipple.

If the nipple seal could not take normal handling of installation, it would never survive the pressurized, hot, and vibrating zone of where it is mounted.
You damaged it, your comment is completely idiotic. I see the marks where you hit the pipe in your own picture.

If a concerned newbie can chime in. Is the Simmons a good choice for a long term solution to the Main problem of the plastic ones failing so often? And or is these other ones also a viable option as long as caution is maintained in installing and handling? I assume from some of this there are really cheep knockoffs of a non cast one, but that there are good quality multi piece units?

I'm just asking as I'm going to drop some cash here on one and Id like to not revisit this issue for many years.

Thanks!

Welcome,

Don’t be concerned but glad you asked the question.

Ok I have installed both the Simmons and Austekk, both have held up.

The other ones on eBay are knock offs of the Austekk.

After researching both, Zabteck performance is going to be selling the Austekk ones. This way the ST community has a place they can go easily to get.

Hope this helps you.

B3B78C8C-0713-4EA6-B0EE-F2395B35D3F7.jpeg
I disassembled the unit upon receipt and added a ribbon of Permatex 22071 to improve sealing capability around the perimeter.

You can read the ATK markings just to the left of the nipple in the picture from the previous post.

Nothing but rubber hose contacted the nipple, not sure how you see galling on it.
View attachment 730
Obvious you are a liar, you took it apart and slammed the pipe with you tool and broke the seal...You are a fraud and crying and blaming a part you destroyed. You should be banned from this forum.

Here are some additional facts:
1) Since installing the Simmons thermostat housing, I have no coolant leak.
2) K Thomas only recently joined this forum and has only posted on this thread to defend the Austekk housing and accuse me of lying.
3) Simmons housings are US made, Austekk are made in China.
4) I have no connection to Simmons other than purchasing one of their thermostat housings.

Appreciate posts on ThermoStat Housing issue for V6~4.0L~SOHC in 1997\Later Explorers+Rangers+Mustangs+...
Swapped out old plastic for new aluminum ThermoStat Housing in 2001 Ford ExSportTrac;
did that 2019Aug with no leak as of 2020Mar & another 5000+ miles; knock on plastic! My write up with pics:
http://2001fordexplorersporttrac.fandom.com/Coolant_ThermoStat_Housing

c276d1439a520d2399a5d7a6ab868c1c._.gif

a14e9267e569164ecab4707f1aabbb54._.gif

ccf00af24fbce2ac2ab2cd203eb626a1._.gif

4d399a13ca8419af76187ee34af85b8e._.gif

Recently removed the ClippedGray~Control TempSensor, plugged that hole,
drilled new hole & installed new ThreadedGray~Control TempSensor;
this was done to improve access for changing the left TimingChainTensioner.
2001.Ford.ExST_Engi.Cool_Stat.Hous_0750_Changed.GIF

Last edited:
I got to ask, WTF is with the upside down bolts and nuts holding on the t stat top?? That just looks like a nightmare for changing out the t stat.....

I guess that's the difference between the cheaper Ebay knock off and the Austekk Kraig and I sell.......

Also that's a lot of silicone, a little goes a long way, Ultra Grey or Ultra copper if you really want to add silicone.

Latest posts