TRADED IN THE TRAC TODAY...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Szkutak

Reaction score
Well, after i was recently informed that i would need about $4000 in exhaust and tranny work done to my trac, which just passed 120k, it was decided that i would trade it in and start fresh trouble free (hopefully) for a few years.. I opted for 2006 ranger sport 4x4 ext cab. I loved my trac for the 6 years it was in our family, and i'm going to miss it, but WOW!, that Ranger is amazing! Anyways, i'm thankful for all the help over the past year or so from all of you, and i will remain on this site seeing as i still have a sohc 4.0 v6 lol!!

Thanks so much!

Andy

heres a pic[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not so bad of a move, Andy .....and you still have the same enigne and all...I would say you have 2 door Ranger "sport truc"! :lol: great color , BTW!

I have 122k and 6 happy years too. Not even considering trading my baby in though. What happened there? I don't mean to be overly critical, but exhaust and tranny work for $4000 sounds like a lot. Were there problems that your hindsight can help the rest of us avoid? TIA

Sandy said:
What happened there? I don't mean to be overly critical, but exhaust and tranny work for $4000 sounds like a lot. Were there problems that your hindsight can help the rest of us avoid?

What happened? It wore out. Actually sounds like he and you are both luck. Many seem to start having their tranny problems between 40K and 70K miles. These Fords just aren't engineered to run much over 100K miles without the need for major repairs.

My ST's tranny is failing too at 96K......

I think I have a Nissan Titan in my future....tired of fixing the Trac.........

It is sad that I can buy 10 foriegn cars and they all still run perfect after 100K miles with little to no repair investment. If I buy 10 US cars, I will have invested $$$$$ to keep them running past 100K miles.......

Anyway, my rant, Nice truck Andy!!! Love the color, good luck with it!

cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
Sold my 98 Ranger (actually Mazda B3000 - same thing) to a friend to get my 02 Trac. Mazda has over 100k and still going strong. Think he had to replace the clutch but thats about it.

Yes, AndyG, it is sad! What you describe seems the typical reliability experience for foreign vs domestic. But wait a few moments, a few will post about their domestics that have made it 150K or 200K miles without any major repairs. Sure, it happens, but that's the exception. The rule for domestics seems more like what you have seen!

I've had two Rangers. a B-3000, and a B-4000. They are good trucks, although I always liked the Mazdas over the Rangers due to better resale value and the much better warranty than the Ford.

No one else finds the date in the bottom of the corner funny?

I got 76k on my ST and I rag on it daily. Still runs good as it did when new. My roommate has a 98 Camaro, still original engine and drivetrain, well, a new rear end is going in, but the current one is not busted, he just needs something to handle another 200hp and slicks. Another buddy of mine has a '92 Mustang with 90k, still original engine and drivetrain.

On the other hand, my neighbor across the street has had her Mitsubishi in and out of the shop since she got it a year ago and has gone through 2 motors...

At home, my dad had a 2001 C5, and now has a S-10, and while they're "plain" he's never had a problem with any of em. My mom's 2004 Maxima has been in and out of the shop for various sensors needing replacement as well as the molding on the doors coming off and the paint on all of her trim on the inside is flaking off. My sister's '04 Beetle went in the shop on 3 different occasions because they couldn't figure out how to make the radio work correctly (recall) and a defective airbag sensor.

In my personal experience, I'll take a domestic over an import any day.

I have almost 34K miles on my 04 Trac and I've taken it to the dealership for literally a dozen minor warranty work, but two significant ones. One is for a rear differential leak and the other is for tranny work. At about 18K miles it began slipping and a solenoid was replaced. But the slipping did not disappear until after it was flushed. Then at about 28K miles the trans started slipping again and this time the dealership installed a remanufactured transmission. Currently, I'm having issues with the pan leaking after extended driving. I get no warning lights and the Trac drives great though.

Im with Jeff C id take a domestic over an import any day ive gotten 100K+ repair free miles out of all my fords my wifes car 01 accord on the other hand has been falling apart since 94k miles in the last 15k miles ive done an alternator, window regulator, cruise control switch, an SRS light that the dealer "fixed" and it came back on a thousand miles later,4 lights behind the hvac controls, rear brakes 4 times since new, all four rotors, the plastic clip that holds the leather around the seat is broke. Seems like honda engineers them to hit 100k and die. it really sucks cause it takes away from the money i get to put into my truck.

Jeff C

the date doesnt bother me because they probably need a new lithium battery

for the date/time portion of the camera.

mine was bad for ever until i finally got around to replacing it on my camera though

all the photos were jan 1st 2000

1991 F150 XLT 179,000, only change was new clutch and radiator

1996 Taurus 189,560 miles, Wife had it commit harikari on a Tahoe............

1997 Taurus, 250,900 miles. Tranny finally died after wife drove it.:blink:

1998 Taurus 234,000 miles. Still runs good.

2001 Sport trac 109,080 Well tranny is fixing to die....will replace though, the rest of the truck is golden.

2006 Freestyle...15,000 miles....wife hasn't killed it off............yet:lol:

y'all have a good one

Bob

Mitsubishi is a very un-Japanese-like company. Their reliability issues are well documented -- it's almost like they were managed by Dodge.