tranny help.....this is a tough one...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc vanalan

Reaction score
Hello all.....I have been coming here since I bought my trac in 2002. Great site. Incredible info. My trac has 54000 miles on it. for the past 7 months i have had a very minor problem which i think maybe the trans. Hopefully you all can help.Tranny shifts smooth as silk until i hit the gas hard(put it to the floor) then i get a mild pulsing as if very quick slipping. It is very quick,more like a pulsing than a long slip. Took it to ford 7 months ago and they told to wait for a od light code so they could tell what it was. Since then i have gone about 7000 more miles and still no od light. If i drive it normal it is fine ,if i floor it to pass someone on the freeway it goes down to passing gear and pulses. Once it gets out of passing gear it is smooth again. It is not burning fluid at all ,I flushed it 2 months ago and had the filter changed when i first noticed the problem. It has never burned fluid. I put the tranny additive in at flush time too.

I took it to a tranny shop and he said this type of tranny has some issues and he felt it may be a gasket leak in the tranny,he said that is a common problem. He said because i am not getting any codes he feels it is not a electrical problem. I will get a very mild pulsing in all gears if i push the gas hard i have found but mainly noticable in passing gear.

Question? what do you guys think?

Anyone have this issue? could it be what he says? Any ideas will help.

Thanks trac'ers:unsure::blink:

Gotta love it when a Ford dealer tells you to wait for the "light of death" before they will test it. Did they even take it for a drive to see the problem? Sounds like a minor slip to me or it could be a pressure problem.;)

Could be a bad converter, Or a drive shaft issue...

I would have not driven it that long though, I would have it checked again by some one else..

Todd Z

Marc, I have 109,000 on my 02. I had issues as well early on before I changed to synthetic. Stupid question. Is you diff LS? Look into what Todd and Stonemiser say. I would also include that if you do not have a 4.10 you may be asking for trouble hitting the pedal that hard.

Ed

it is the 4.10 rear end. I just drove 150 miles back and forth to the zoo today . I noticed after accelerating hard after the pulsingg, when i let off the gas the trac was still shaking as if something was out of balance ? went away quickly . How do you tell if the torque converter is bad? what are the symptons? Thanks

any other ideas would be great.

Latest posts