Transmission Flush

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Laake 2

Reaction score
I called the local Firstone store about my next service. I explained that I have 98k miles, and want to get the transmission flushed, since I usually do that about every 35k.

The guy replied that it would be a good idea to do it before 100k miles since a lot of shops wont work on them or service beyond 100k. He also recommended the full service flush with filter and gasket change, since no one else might work on it in the future, instead of just the standard flush. I did have the full service flush done on it at about 73k miles.

I have never heard of that. Why wouldnt a shop work on or service a transmission past 100k miles? It hasn't missed a beat up to this point.

What would you do? Full service flush ($140) or just standard flush and refill ($90)?

The other reason I am going in is a new set of Revos. 255 70R16. I got 65k miles on my Goodyear Wranglers and 2 are starting to get some cupping.

Later,

The Hawk

I think thats just a ploy he was using to get you to pay him more money. I got my ranger worked on a few times after it was far over 100k

I will not let my shop do tranny's over 75,000 miles without getting a signature from the customer that states we have explained that the tranny may fail.

GM 700R4 model tranny's I will not let the guys flush them at any miles. For some reason, a high percentage of those tranny's fail shortly after doing the job. It makes no sense, but it is true.

With tranny's at 100,000 miles things simply wear out or are mated to what is the present norm. Once flushed and a new filter put in the pressures do change as well as volume of flow depending on what valve body is in the tranny. For some reason high mileage trannys don't do well with the new pressure of improved flow.

So, for safety reasons we simply avoid the service on certain trannys and high mileage tranny. Now if the customer comes in with a problem then we will do it at any level as it is worth a try to attempt to bring it back to life. Nothing to lose at that point.

I have never heard of this, but I'm sure it's related to tranny failures after a flush or fluid change and the shops got sued for the damages.

I think a lot of the problem is people who do not change the transmission fluid regularly until they start seeing some transmission problems. Then when the fluid is changed and the problem continues, they blame all the problems on the shop that did the fluid change/flush.

If you use the same shop for your servicing and they know that you flush/change the fluid on a regular basis, there should be no problem. However, I do think the shops have the right to have the customer sign a waiver that they are not responsible for any transmission problems caused by fluid changes (except leaking pan gaskets) if the vehicle has over 100K miles. Less mileage if the vehicle does not appear to be well maintained or exhibits transmission problems prior to the fluid change/flush. Of course that would mean that each vehicle would require test driving prior to performing any work and that would warrant an additional fee of about $10-$15.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a tranny flush in a Lincoln Continental (FWD) I used to have at over 100k and about a week later it seized up and died...late at night...100 miles from home. :angry: My dad bought the car new and I know it had flushes done every 30k as per the manual. Dealer got the tranny apart and said something came loose and blocked a fluid passage.

Side benefit, I also got pretty much a whole new rear suspension then, courtesy of the towing company, because the flatbed driver put the J-hooks around the rear control arms then snugged everything down good and tight. :rolleyes: The back wheels were very pidgeon-toed when it got to the dealer. :rolleyes: Bent the frag out of everything.

It's just a CYA for the tranny shop. I'm self-employed in a non-automotive line of work but there are certain jobs that right up front I don't guarantee anymore either, if or when they look too risky...or too bad, and I know the customer won't be happy no matter what.

I would think if a tranny has that many miles and a service is done, if it fails in the next 30k the customers gonna blame the shop regardless, kinda makes sense to me.

Latest posts