Transmission Trouble

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get it to a shop imediatly before the damage becomes extensive. Right now it may just be a valve body problem. That may be only $400 to $700. Other wise continue to drive it can trash the whole trans.

this happened to me a couple days ago! i put up a post about it. it may help you out a little. its 2 or 3 pages back. my light went off and has yet to come back on ( knock on wood). good luck with it. i hope you got the warranty like i did!

I just had the same problem. AAmco said it was this

1 New Piston Intermediate/overdrive3 servo Assembly

1 n adj Screw

1 new Gasket - pan

6 Ltr.dextron III / Mercon trans fluid

labor cost for everything 384.

Uh, I think if they put Dexron III/Mercon in it you may have another problem soon. Our Tracs take Mercon V.

True on dreman's call on Mercon V. All documentation I've read concerning transmission fluid in the 5R55E states to use only MERCON V!

GUYS help me out here...on the weekend i noticed a tranny leak (coroded line on the bottom of where the steel line meets rubber at the radiator) and in fact as of today have the replacement lin ordered to put on tomorrow. However when i discovered the leak i dumped in 1 litre of i do believe it is this dextron/merconlll stuff. will this harm the tranny being watered down that much? should the tranny be drained? and if so can a do it yourselfer do a tranny fluid change?

Have the tranny flushed ASAP!!

This is not something for the do-it-yourselfer, as a true tranny flush will get all of the tranny oil changed, not just the 50% or so that is in the pan. As stated above, this tranny needs Mercon V for a reason... Try a dealer and expect $160 if they don't have a deal going. An oil change place might be ok, but they need to use real Mercon V, not III with some additional additives, and they need to do a real tranny flush, not just dropping the pan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts