tunel cover-lock?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean Kubin 2

Reaction score
just got my 2007

the tunel cover is great but i can't lock it.

ign key fits but won't lock it.

Dealer trying to work on the prolbem.

feel i might be getting the run a round.

No, THERE is a second key, YOUR missing a key....

The 07 cover uses a different key....

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd nailed it. It is not keyed alike. I personally think it is ridiculous but it is a fact. Your missing a key...

Yet another reason I would avoid the 07 for now. Eventually, they will fix the bugs and then I may upgrade...

Actually I LIKE the idea of a second key...

Easy to buy and sell the covers, no re keying needed. The person cant steal the lock off your cover in the night and have a key made for your truck. Then take the truck.

Also you can leave the truck running and open the locked cover, No need to shut the truck off..

Todd Z

I like the fact that the ignition & the tonneau cover have the same key, and yes, it is yet another reason I wouldn't buy an '07.

I HATE having to shut my truck off to hop out real quick and grab something out of the back...and when I got my toneau installed, getting the locks "keyed" is what took so @&*%$ long.

Todd,

I highly doubt someone could steal the T-Cover lock and get it keyed to fit your truck. There are more notches on the key then there are tumblers on the T-Cover lock. Plus, with the PATS system, even if you have a matching key, you cant start it unless the key is programed.

Nobody would go through all the work to even enter your vehicle. A brick works very well on glass.

Tom

I remember the old days when you used to get an ignition key and a trunk key. I never thought about how stupid that was until I bought my first Toyota. It had one bigger key, which opened everything. Ford and GM eventually copied that idea, but now I guess it costs too much for them to actually match up the locks.

I wouldn't be surprised if keys for the doors and trunks aren't eliminated altogether soon, since keyless entry and key fobs are available. The technology already exists where we could use thumbprints to start our vehicles, since it is already used for desktop PCs in some offices. I'm sure a Japanese or Korean company will be the first to offer these ideas though.

Pretty sad the state of the US auto industry...after 100 years of building cars, we are now following countries which we helped reconstruct from war over 50 years ago. Will Iraq be doing the same to us in another 50 years? :(

I remember back in the 70's, every complained that you either had to push the door handler when closing the door when locked, or it would lock. Ford and GM quit doing that, a few years later, Toyota started doing the same thing.

It was nothing innovative. I give it a few years and almost all auto manufacturers will go back to a 2 key system.

Many of Ford cars have already eliminated the passsengers side door key hole.

Tom

You don't NEED the key to open the '07 OEM tonneau unless it's locked. The key only locks and unlocks. It now unLATCHES via the pushbutton lock cylinders. Way better than the old one which was always locked and always need a key to open. And, with the torsion bar, it pops up a little when you push the button and is WAY easier to raise and lower. The added features by far outweigh the fact that it comes with a seperate key.

The fact that the tonneau is not keyed to the ignition is not a "bug" so I wouldn't hold my breath on waiting for it to be worked out. It was an assembly plant logistics decision but I wouldn't let it stop me from buying the strongest and most function tonneau designed and proven for this truck.

You should be able to pay a locksmith to rekey it to the ignition key if you want. The cylinder can be removed by spreading the wire clip in the housing underneath while simultaneously pulling the cylinder straight out from above. Don't remove the clip, it's a b*tch to get back in. When you're ready to put your locks back in, just insert and keep pushing until you hear the "snap" of the wire clip engage into the lock cylinder.

Agree with Caymen, there are fewer tumblers on the tonneau lock so having this lock alone would not be enough to have a key made to work in the ignition.

Plus, why go through all the work to get a key made when a brick works so much faster to access your vehicle?

Plus, without a PATS chip, you arent going to start it.

Tom

Just picked up my '07 ST today. Where is the key for the tonneau cover? Is it in with the paper work or in the ST or was the dealer supposed to give it to me?

My dealer gave me both sets of keys ... the PATS keys for ignition, a second set with smaller head for the tonneau cover.

I like having separate keys for the aforementioned reason of being able to leave the ST running while unlocking/locking the tonneau. If I know I'm going to be in and out of it several times during a trip, I leave it unlocked.

I wouldn't be surprised if keys for the doors and trunks aren't eliminated altogether soon, since keyless entry and key fobs are available. The technology already exists where we could use thumbprints to start our vehicles, since it is already used for desktop PCs in some offices. I'm sure a Japanese or Korean company will be the first to offer these ideas though.

Even on the current vehicles that have remote entry, and push button ignitions. you still need a key for the situation when the battery is dead. They all provide keys for emergency entry, even if they don't have ignition keys.

I personally think keyless ignitions are a solution for a problem that does not exist. Just another place for a problem to arise that will leave you stuck somewhere. Key's have proven themselves as reliable for:wacko: decades.