Used Car Purchase

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clay Campbell

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am considering purchasing a project car. Its an e30 BMW. I have found one for a decent price but it has a bit of front end damage. I wanted to get some of your opinions on the car and see what you think. The car is what I am looking far as specs. It is a 2 door, 5 speed. I would rather have a 89 or 91 but I can swap the bumpers to the better looking plastic ones. The guys is asking $900 for it. He says it has 123k on it. He was gonna build it into a track car but says he has 2 many projects.

Here are some pics. I will update the description as I get information on it. Also, due to the damage which occurred in 1998 (seen in pictures) it has a salvage title. That doesnt much matter to me as the car isnt worth much anyway. I am just interested in it as a fun car to mess around with. There is a lot of aftermarket support for these cars and the parts are relatively cheap. Let me know what you think.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

And here is the damage pic. These are the only pictures I have of it so far. I will see it in person before I buy it.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of mine had an M3, and he would scare the bejezus out of me taking me around high-speed corners. However, a very well-built car.

I say go for it! You seem to know what you are getting into, and this isn't your primary car.

FARFERGNEUGEN! :cool::cool::cool:

These cars are sweet. My buddy had one in University.

I say if you are done putting money into the trac for a bit, you might as well pick this car up. good luck

Well the ST is not what I would consider a "Fun Little Car" I have the stereo pretty much the way I like it. And the only other things I want to do to the ST are impractical or really expensive. Plus the ST is a vehicle I have had since new that has to last me a long time so changing it too drastically is probably not the best idea. I'd probably get laughed at rolling up to the autocross meet in the ST.

Bill, do you mind elaborating? I'm not questioning your opinion by any means. But that is the point of this thread, for me to hear about the experiences of other people. I worked at a shop that restores old british sports cars for 3 years in high school but I have no experince with german imports other than what research I have done. I have done a lot of research though and have been a member of the e30tech.com forum for a couple months now, I trolled it for about a year before I joined. From what I have seen parts are not that expensive. I have seen replacement m20 engines (the engine in the car I am looking at) rebuilt for $600. Do you have any specific knowledge you could share? What about you Ed?

Last edited by a moderator:
have restored two Aston martins, talk about Pitas. Have had 3 BMWs

Great 92 525IT, bought new (wifes car), after about 80 k miles, was always something to be repaired, got rid of it, bought her am M5, loved that car bigtime, but after a couple yrs was always something very expensive to repair. Currant beemer is a cooper, so far so good.

If you like to work on older cars,go for it.You will always something to do.

I dunno, I'd recommend you search for the same model in the best condition out there and see what they sell for. Compare that with the estimated time/money you'd put in to this. Coming from a former 325 and 633csi owner....

Bo. I have found other cars of the same model for the same price, only for this price they have more miles and more rust.

Bill. You have some awesome experience with the Aston Martins. The BMW models you owned definitely are a good bit more expensive than the model I am looking at as far as parts and everything. Especially the M5. A buddy of mine used to have a 5 series from 2000 I think and I was always amazed at how much his maintanence bill was. Thats why I was attracted to this model BMW, because the parts and maintenance are cheap. They are basically german civics.

clay,

kinda agree with bill. but if you have the time and money go for it.

make it a nice 1/4 mile vehicle.

other then the front end damage, it looks like it is in pretty good shape.

good luck :)

A very close friend of mine owns a BMW Dinan 7. (BMW's version of the Mercedes AMG)

Almost fell off my chair when he told me the cost of a tuneup.

Realize you are talking about a 325is. I'm sure servicing and parts would be closer to earth.

Here is your 1/4 e30 Gary

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QgNFvDUvQEU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QgNFvDUvQEU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I was thinking more of a street ride. Something that would be fun to autocross every now and then.

Bill actually I am pretty sure the motor in that car is a turbo'd m20b25 which is a straigh 6 that came in the 325s. They talk about it quite often on the e30 forum i frequent.

It is incredible. There is another video where it gets a better launch and runs its best time ever. I think it was 8.55. Not real sure on the time but i'll try and find the video