V6 engine is way to loud!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan M 3

Reaction score
Ok, so yea I have always been a V8 guy, and this 09 ST 4x4 is the first vehicle I have ever owned with a V6. Question to you V6 guys... WTF with how loud and cheesy this engine sounds? I mean, my wife has an Edge with a V6 and it sounds amazing. No cabin noise. The V6 in the ST is loud, cabin loud, and sounds like a tin can.

So, anyting you guys have done to quite the cab, or make the engine sound more like a motor than a lawnmower? PLEASE HELP LOL

Nope, brand new... and I WISH it sounded as good as a great exhaust. I am talking plain old engine acceleration noise. Nothing weird or in need of service, I think it is the NORMAL engine whine on acceleration and I am just not liking it. Hoping someone here knows what I mean and how to either make it sound meaner, or just make it less noticable in the cabin... Sounds like the little engine that could LOL

I think there was someone on here awhile back that talked about, and showed some pictures on how to insulate the cabin from outside noise. I tried to do some searching for you on this site for that topic, but could not find it. It could have been on another site that I was reading on as well, just not 100% sure. Maybe someone will chime in that knows where it is at on this site, or on another.

That would be great. I am convinced it is all normal noise, all be it cheesy sounding for a truck. If I could lessen the noise from the firewall that would help. Short of that not sure.

You say a whinning noise. Sure you dont have a belt driven accesory whine. Idler bearing, powersteering pump or anything. My '04 was too queit. Including in the cab. No unusual sounds. Slaped on a cat back exhaust. Now that really sounds cheesy. Of couse Im use to V8's also.

I have an '07 V6 and I find it to be rather quiet. Much more so than our Toyota minivan. My family enjoys taking it on trips because we can have a nice conversation while going down the interstate.

I guess it could also differ depending on how one drives it? I don't get on the pedal to much, just steady driving during my 23 mile commute everyday.

Ok guys, let me clarify this. I am a huge car/truck nut, and thus know the difference between a "normal" sound and a "mechanical" issue. Yes I drove the truck prior to buying it, and yes I was looking for a V8, but could not find one with the options I wanted. I wanted a cool color, cloth seats, and 4x4. Most V8 were limited and had leather and a bunch of stuff I did not want. That said, the V6 was my only real option so late in the year. Bought it last Sept.

Anyways, the "noise" I am refering to, is the "normal" sound of a underpowered V6 upon acceleration. If I feather the gas, no issue. However, if I want to pass, accelerate hard for whatever reason, I get the cheesy engine "whin" associated with what I believe is the normal V6. My wife has an EB Explorer back in 05 with the same V6, and it sounded the same upon heavy acceleration.

So, bottom line, it is the NORMAL sound I do not care for. I can deal with the lack of SPEED, but rather than hear the engine attempting to gain speed and sounding like a rubber band, I was hoping to quite THAT noise, so at least make it sound BETTER.

And yes, this truck has one of the quietest cabins under normal conditions, I have ever rode in.

hummmm I was thinking, maybe it is the gen 2 V6 and redesign only? Seems none of the gen 1 guys are complaining...???

Seems none of the gen 1 guys are complaining...???

Not about engine noise, mostly wind noise....but I haven't done Todd Z's project on fixing the gap yet.

The normal exhaust sounds weak, like the beginning of Disney's Space Mountain, with a little bit of Ned Beatty thrown in. However, while I've got a whole stash of Flowmasters, I'm afraid that installing them will make the ST sound tacky.

hummmm I was thinking, maybe it is the gen 2 V6 and redesign only? Seems none of the gen 1 guys are complaining...???

Maybe, unless it is your trac in particular. My '04 was queit from the get go, at any acceleration. Despite its queitness, I could tell it sounded like a V6 instead of V8. No unusual sound at WOT or any other.

Could just be the gen2 different structure, has changed the harmonics.

yea, I really think it is the normal sound of an under powered V6 trying to haul a fairly heavy vehicle. At any rate, short of deadening the sound somehow in the cabin, or possibly getting a louder muffer to drown out the weakness, I may just have to deal with the fact that is it the V6 and not much else.

put on a magnaflow, and cut off the resonator... then you will feel like theres more power to back you up.... just dont look at the speedometer, you arent going any faster,

its not a v8 sound, but a spirited v6 sound

um... my ST up till i put my cherry bomb setup on it was wayyyyyy quiet...

now im pretty happy with the sound till i get the ypipe and highflow cat

I had an '05 Trac before, same V6 engine, and didn't hear much of anything at all. Then I got my '08 and I agree it sounds kinda "cheesy". After about three months I got a Gibson cat-back and I like it a lot.

Johnny, that is it, you got it. It is NOT noise, like something unexpected, just the normal cheesy sound (if you will) of a V6 that is under powered. However, my wifes Edge has a small V6, and even if you jump on it, it is super quite... no real engine whin or noise... that is what I do not get. What makes the 4.0 in the ST or Explorer so cheesy? It has to be normal engine or just bad insulation between the compartments....