WHAT TYPE OF PAINT TO PAINT BUMPERS!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyler wright

Reaction score
hey i am getting my bumpers painted but don't know what type of paint to usae someone please tell me what kind of paint to use...i am painting the side skirt deals and the rear and froint bumper

Are you painting your cladding black or body color? Tom R used Dupli-color from a spray can. You could also use PPG Automotive Paint.

I used Krylon "Fusion" spray paint in semi gloss black which is designed to stick to plastic. I also used the same paint to do the grill guard/light bar and it worked well for both.

[Broken External Image]::)

Last edited by a moderator:
Single stage PPG gloss black with body shop equipment..

[Broken External Image]:

I had my front and rear bumper covers (not including the side skirts) painted for around $250 after I was rear ended and replacing the rear bumper. I later got ATS running boards for the sides.

You can use the same paint that Ford used to paint the body. There is no difference in the paint, but there are some primers for painting on plastic that promote adhesion of the top coats.

There are plasticisers that can be added to the color coat and clear coat to add some flexibility to the paint incase someone parks using the braile method, however the bumpers are still likely to get damaged and need to be replaced anyway.

I once got a $310 quote from a local body shop to paint the bumbers and side cladding to match the body color. Then 2 days later the renigged claiming they forgot a bunch of stuff and their new quote jumpted to over $700.

...Rich