What's your best gas mileage on the V8

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You must still be on your fist tank of gas?? With only 275 miles on it, there isn't an accurate way to tell how much better uyour mileage will get, but 15.5 sounds pretty good for the first tankfull....

Are you reading that off of the computer in the car, or from filling up and doing the math yourself?? In my experience, the car computers aren't accurate in computing MPG.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've logged 20.5 mpg in a '05 4x4 Expedition with the 5.4L V8. This was along I-17 from Phoenix to Flagstaff, so there was some city driving mixed into that average, along with considerable change in altitude. Went from 1500 ft to over 6000 ft elevation on that leg.

With the right driving habits, decent mileage is possible with a V8 equipped vehicle.

How did I manage that? I kept the vehicle pegged on 70 mph on the flatter sections, and on the long ascent, I turned off the A/C and took the climb at a steady 45 mph on the steep sections. I was keeping up with the normal flow of traffic on the hill climbs, too.

You'd be amazed how much improvement you'll see if you keep it under 70mph.

I have the 07 with the v6and i was getting 17.1 until my daughter took it back to grad school with her while I had some work done on her 2002 Grand AM..after she used it for 3 weeks the milage dropped to around 14..IVe had it back for 2 weeks now and its back uo to 16 now..i will just have to keep babying it

You have a way to go before you can tell what your gas milage will be like. You have to get through the break in period too, then it will go up.

Ghosty, Limited V8 loaded, is averaging 17.2 combination highway at 65-70 and around town, Houston. Computer readout. I love the jackrabbit starts with the low gear, but, I'd say I do not have a really heavy foot. This 17.2 mpg is over the last 1200 miles. Ghosty has 8200 miles on him, so he's broken in. Fantastic truck.

Chris,

Something to consider. Wheels are heavy. The larger the wheel, the more energy needed to turn the tires to accellerate. Same goes for larger tires. Good looks come at a high price.

Tom

Ok, gotta cheer in here...I got my ST yesterday, now a national holiday, and with just 4 gal. of gas used, per the readout, I have gone 58 miles. Cangrats to me since my first V8 and my first NEW vehicle since 1992. After seeing the 'truck', she agreed that it had been too long since I had a new 'truck'. It's the best Ford Truck that I have purchased so far, including 3 former Rangers. Glad I waited for the V8. Enjoy your tracs, all,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mark:rolleyes:

My V8 got 25.7 average on a 900 mile round trip the week I bought it. Since then only city driving and the overall average is down to 17.6. 2300 miles total in the average since purchase on 22 May. This is according to the computer - close enough for me.

grump