wheel well top splash guard...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMYLY

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
what is with the opening at the top of the fender well being left unprotected? have been doing some wheel work recently and it is starting to irritate me that all road debris/water is left to splash directly on engine/exhaust. unsure whether this is a factory oversight or shop not reinstalling the guard but need to buy/make some protection to prevent problems. anyone buy these anywhere.... or make their own? any tips/info would be appreciated. thanks to all.

I have made my own for jeeps after installing different fenders, and you can mold plastic with heat gun for small inner fender well, we get trash cans from walmart cut out side and shape and drill holes in liner and use christmas tree type plugs and it looks factory. it is easy and cheap but no paint required if ya get the black ones. and no it does not look trashy...

01-02 had them from the factory..... Ford removed them in 03 to allow the engine to cool better and the AC to be colder... No clue about the Gen 2 but I'm sure its the same reason.

ordered this..
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0811TNP6V/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1took about 1hr per side, installed with various push plugs. will see thru winter how good it stays put. when you look at the roll, appears black until it is against the pure black plastic ww liners, then it appears grey.
feel better knowing that snow/slush will not have a clear passage to sticking to exhaust manifold and wires/plugs.

Attachments

• IMG_20221101_152350.jpg
    IMG_20221101_152350.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221101_152357.jpg
    IMG_20221101_152357.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221101_152408.jpg
    IMG_20221101_152408.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221101_152413.jpg
    IMG_20221101_152413.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
ordered this..
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0811TNP6V/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1took about 1hr per side, installed with various push plugs. will see thru winter how good it stays put. when you look at the roll, appears black until it is against the pure black plastic ww liners, then it appears grey.
feel better knowing that snow/slush will not have a clear passage to sticking to exhaust manifold and wires/plugs.
Let us know how it looks after the spring thaw!

what is with the opening at the top of the fender well being left unprotected? have been doing some wheel work recently and it is starting to irritate me that all road debris/water is left to splash directly on engine/exhaust. unsure whether this is a factory oversight or shop not reinstalling the guard but need to buy/make some protection to prevent problems. anyone buy these anywhere.... or make their own? any tips/info would be appreciated. thanks to all.
What I bought and fit like factory

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221106-075005_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221106-075005_Chrome.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221106-075005_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221106-075005_Chrome.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 0
What I bought and fit like factory
very curious...is this for the top of the wwell? would love to see a pic of it installed on your 1rst gen. i may order it...wish i had found this before.

very curious...is this for the top of the wwell? would love to see a pic of it installed on your 1rst gen. i may order it...wish i had found this before.
The skirt attaches to the bottom of the current top wheel well guard. I just bought a pair for $22 plus tax and shipping or $38 total.

For those on the fence about spending the money on these inner fender splash guards. 2003 and later Sport Tracs were only equipped with small splash guards. I was afraid of trapping engine heat but had serious dust issues on the engine so I tried them. If I had to guess the full guards prevented at least 75% of the dust and mud with no noticeable change in engine temp or A/C performance. IMO, the "small" guards do almost nothing. Buy them if you can afford them or fabricate yourself. They definitely work.

https://web.archive.org/web/20101219005000fw_/http://mysporttrac.com/shared/projects.asp?VIEW=174&WRENCHES=1&PageHeader=Member Projects

Last edited:
My 04 ST never had the small guards but the holes in the upper splash guards are already present for installing the new lowers. Carparts.com guaranteed the fitment and both sides are identical. Your link doesn’t show the images on page 2, only the two comments next to where the image would have been rendered. I think anything that keeps the engine bay cleaner is a good thing and with good maintenance I’m not worried about heat dissipation.

@RMYLY

May not be a good example because I'm lowered 2-1/2 inches, but you should get the idea. If more pics needed, please LMK.

Attachments

• DSC08869.JPG
    DSC08869.JPG
    641.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC08870.JPG
    DSC08870.JPG
    605.5 KB · Views: 0
My ‘07 Sport Trac did not come with splash guards on the inside of the front fender well by the suspension! I’ve always felt that was a mistake since water, mud, dust and slush can be thrown up onto the engine and components! Evidently not part of “Job One”! Probably saved enough to give execs a little bigger bonus! Once again, just MHO!

Me? Surprisingly I can go to full steering lock both ways and not touch anything. Only time I ever make slight tire contact is moving slowly at full lock and hitting a bump. Another thing is my front bump stops are removed and I've NEVER made LCA contact even over the largest bumps at moderate speed. Go figure. Guess I just got lucky. I think having the stock 235/70-16 (RWD) size tires helps.

Last edited:

Latest posts