wheels bearings go bad?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V Ro

Reaction score
I just got new tires and then got an allignment. but on the highway it pulls left. they told me about my front left(drivers) wheel bearing being bad and loose. I took it back after my trip and then they said everything was with in specs and even switched front wheels. but it still pulls left

he showed me how the front wheel assembly(disc brakes would wobble while they moved the tire). they said the bearing were bad. I just had them repacked last spring. they wanted to charge $795 dollars for two wheels saying the parts were $295 a piece.

it this something I can do myself? are the parts that much? could I just tighten something up?

Your bearings might be bad or just loose...If the Trac did not pull before the tires or alignment...they need to go back and look at either the alignment or the posibility of a tire with a bad belt..I have bought new tires that would pull one way or the other...the way to prove it is the tire is to swap sides with the front tires...if it pulls the other way or stops it is the tire....

they switched the tires and it is still the same going to the left.... how do I tighten up the bearings if they are loose?

I had them throw it back on the rack and everything is within the specs they showed me and gave a print out of

Go to another shop and get a second dianosis. Even if the first shop is correct they are WAY over priced.

Bearings are cheap by comparison of the many items that can go bad.

It requires some tear down to get to them but yes you can tighten them.

Before you do so you want to jack up one wheel at a time and see if that is the issue. Could be bearings, tie rods or ball joints. Once you have it in the air move it left and right and up and down. If it only goes left and right it probably is a tie rod. If it goes in all directions it probably is the bearings.

the guy at firestone had it up in the air and showed me.... the brake/hub assembly moved but the ball joints and tie rods stayed

Yes...take the wheel off...pullthe bearing cap...pull the coter pin and crown nut lock...use a pair channel lock pliers...while turning the rotor by hand, snug the nut fairly snug, but not over tight...set the crown nut lock on to where it ligns up with a coter pin hole and back the nut off one or two pin holes...put coter pin in,spread it..install cap..

That is a laymans way of doing it I could get more technical if you had a torque wrench and I knew the torque specs...

where can I get a schematic of this? I have looked all ove the site.

Thanks fast eddie

I don't think I read this, so make sure you're not being taken for ride. If you have a 4x2, it may not be the bearings, even if the tires move more than they should. It could be a simple steering component. Check it out.

Ed

well only the one wheel moves and it moves the brake assembly too

what steering component?

$795.00 for freaking bearings. Are they including vasalene? If they are including Vasalene, I bet there is sand and glass shards in it.

Come on! Do as Fast Eddie suggested. I can not imagine the bearing costing more then 20.00 for the set. 4x2 Tracs are simple to replace the the bearings.

Tom

If the brake caliper itself moves then it could be bearings. If the caliper as well as what the caliper is mounted to, (Spindle) then you have a more serious issue. Could be ball joints if everything moves.

Above you said no, but is does not sound as though you are to sure.

Take it to another local shop. If it is just bearing s and they only need tightened your bill will be like 20 total.

Latest posts