where do you stow yours ?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stone, I respect your position.

Anyone that wants to store and carry a loaded weapon in their vehicle (in plain sight or concealed) should do so with extreme care and recognize that many states have restrictions on carrying a loaded weapon in a vehicle even if their permit allows concealing (e.g. must be "on the person"). That's why I asked the question about BigDaddy's further intent besides being concealed.

No one is recommending we have or allow loaded guns to be transported, are they?

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
TomT, You are right sir. Not only am I a Hillbilly, I am a Redneck. I have been around guns all of my life and to date none of my firearms have been involved in a death or shooting( accidental or intentional). I have been in possession of firearms that killed, maimed and wounded but they were owned by the United States of America and The Government was delighted that I could handle a weapon for the sole purpose of inflecting death.

As for the responsible parent comment,I'm not sure about Texas but here in NC if you tell a child no they listen. No child has ever been killed in my house. I believe strongly in gun locks,safes and security for all types of weapons that could potently harm. More people are killed each year by drunk drivers than guns but no one is willing to lock up their alcohol to save an innocent victim.

Sorry TomT but you judged me from one post and that is a shame. Try to get to know someone before you condemn them. People are to quick to label people because of where they live. ARE YOU A COWBOY TOM?

TJR, I by no means tried to single you out or anything, so please don't take it that way and yes you are correct, nobody is "recommending we have or allow loaded guns to be transported". I'm just wondering where I said that people were saying that? I'm just tried to state that he was looking for a place to carry the weapon that was still ready accessable which it wouldn't be in a safe or trigger lock. I got that from his second sentence in his post: " I have a perfect place to conceal a handgun and still have ready access in my Excursion but the limited space in my ST has me wondering. ".

C, as for the "You have a gun that is secured and hidden and you get car jacked. Do you really think you will have time to unsecure your gun to use it? I doubt it." question. Yes I do think I'd be able to do something about it. With it right beside the seatbelt button and with it loaded and being a double action pistol, I think my chances are very good. Plus the fact that I already stated, they better be willing to die for my property. Plain and simple. I, as Gene in NC, have been trained to handle weapons by some of the best trainers the United States could have. By no way are ANY of my weapons held for "bragging rights". They are to hunt with and for protection. If I never to put an enemy into a guns sights again, I will die a happy man. If it makes you feel good to put someone into the sights and pull the trigger, there is something majorly wrong with you. (not saying you are like that, just a point) To "keep it at home unless you are going to the range" is completely not the point of a concealment permit. I would hope not to run into a criminal on the days I'm not going to the range. I am a law abiding citizen that has gone about the right way of obtaining a carrying permit, I applied, and carry legally. As for the innocent public, I agree, there is a chance someone could get hit. If I don't do anything and the person desides he doesn't want a witness and shoots me, am I not an innocent person. I will not think about stuff like that if it ever happens. Thinking about stuff like that WILL get you killed.

This is all my opinion, I don't want to offend anyone, so if I did, I'm sorry. Bigdaddy, sorry the post has gone alittle south of the original post. I know you didn't want it to. My appologies.;)

Gene said:
More people are killed each year by drunk drivers than guns but no one is willing to lock up their alcohol to save an innocent victim.

Though an amusing analogy I don't really see that many drunks on the road that got that way because they ran across some unsecured alcohol and accidentally drank it, or stole it then drank it...which is what guns locks attempt to safeguard others from doing with guns.

TJR

If you want something of mine that I worked hard for and love, you better be ready to die for it.

if it's a choice between a bullet and the trac, they can have the trac. I love it, but it ain't worth dying for...

Can Trac, unfortunately, most of the time, my kids are in the vehicle. Do you think the "person" is going to say, "Oh, I see you have kids. Get out and please be so kind and remove them before I drive off in your ST"? I live in a small town. Things like this don't happen here. (carjacking and such) I don't carry my .45 unless I am taking a trip to the "big city". (Pittsburgh, Wilkes Barre, Harrisburg, etc.) So at those times my kids are in the car. Would I protect my ST if the kids were not in the car? Yes I would. Probably be even more daring since my kids wouldn't have to see daddy do something he really doesn't want to do. Luckily, the ST isn't a type of vehicle most of these a-holes want.;)

big daddy, to answer your question...I would look at getting a custom console setup with a lock box of some sort. look to see if a custom audio shop will make one and what they will run u for. I would think you would want it close to where the cup holders are so they might be able to create a higher box for you to accomodate a handgun.

SAFE KEEPIN'

Gene in NC. Nope I'm no "cowboy" even though I lived on a ranch when I was younger. I 'm not condemning you or trying to judge you for how you live. It's just that when someone makes a statement like:
Guns don't kill people People kill people. Deal with it.

I find that a little foolish. Yes, we are all adults and know that it takes a person to pull the trigger but that does not mean we cannot be held responsible. Guess I've treated to many gunshot victims in my 27 years with the fire department to believe that EVERYONE has a right to own a gun. I don't care what the damn second amendment says There are some people that just should not be gun owners just like there are some people that should not be driving a vehicle. I salute you for raising your kids right and trusting them. I raised my kids right also and have complete trust in them but I can't say the same for every one of their friends, so every gun I own either has a trigger lock or is locked in a gun safe.

To have a gun in a vehicle for protection means being able to get to it in a hurry which means putting it in a place where kids can also get to it. And what happens if your vehicle gets broken into? By having a gun safe like the one I linked to above, your gun is safe from kids and predators. You can get those for under $100 on ebay. If your going to keep the gun in the vehicle I strongly suggest having one.

I'll say it again, do we really want to be on the road with other people when they are transporting loaded weapons? I know I don't. It's bad enough worrying about a fuel tank explosion in an accident or a roll-over, not to have to also worry about a loaded handgun bouncing around in a vehicle as it is in an accident.

TJR

I'll say it again, do we really want to be on the road with other people when they are transporting loaded weapons? I know I don't. It's bad enough worrying about a fuel tank explosion in an accident or a roll-over, not to have to also worry about a loaded handgun bouncing around in a vehicle as it is in an accident.

An unloaded gun with any ammunition in the vehicle is about the same risk as a loaded gun that is in some type of carry container/console...the odds of such a loaded gun discharging because of the initial impact of the accident would not be that great I would think. Subsequent car/truck fire setting off the ammunition would be the greater risk, and then it would not matter whether it was in a loaded gun, or ammunition stored seperately from the gun.

If/when I carry mine in the vehicle, it is either usually stored in the center console, or on me personally, depending on the situation....rougher area, it is going to be on me, able to be drawn from inside the vehicle, and even if not inside, it will certainly be able to be drawn and fired if needed once I exit the vehicle.

My carry permit goes back far enough that it doesn't have all of the restrictions that later ones here in the state are subject to...mine allows bar carry, as well as in most state office buildings (albeit I would have to show a security guard my permit upon trying to enter some to get past the metal detectors.

I pulled the rear drivers seat. Then bolted one of those electronic hand gun safes to the floor and then replaced the seat. Worked great. I even left it there when I traded in the Trac.

I replaced the batteries in it twice in three years. There is a key to over ride the electronics if they fail or the batteries go bad.

Here is one version,

[Broken External Image]:

Here is the style I had. I really liked it.

[Broken External Image]:

Damn entertaining thread. I've come to the conclusion that TomT & TJR must share one brain. For the continuation of ROTFLMAO I'm glad the one posting does not have access to it at the time.

Hint: Read BigDaddy's first (#1) sentence in the first (#1) post, reread until you fully comprehend.

Sorta on topic: I just keep loaded guns all about the house, loaded of course.:rolleyes: I just hope the 6 year old doesn't create a bloodbath with my 7 month old baby, at least not in the den or God forbid -- the pool table room with the Budweiser fridge. But if that situation does arise, hey, the kid is only 7 months old, how attached to it coud I possibly be.

On topic: just transport loaded guns in plain view, easy to branish if the kid gets rowdy when driving by Toys-R-Us or if the wife bitches because you want to stop at 7-11 and buy a can or two of Skoal Bandits for that prepackaged pinch between the lips and gum. And if you forget to roll down that window to spit, just shoot the MF out, hell, it's just a ford. If someone is in the lane next to you when the window is terminated, hope it's someone like one of the aforementioned fellows because you know they ain't shooting back.

Well, I have to go let the dog out again. She's so petrfied of the dark I gotta shoot the .357 once to scare the piss outta her. Have a nice night, and if you hear rapid 9mm gunfire, it's just time for my dog to make poopies...

:D :p

R.Shek,

I am not a gun hater and own a few hand guns myself. I believe that young kids who show an interest in weapons should be shown how to safely handle and use weapons, however I think purchasing a 22 rifle for a 5 year old is not a wise thing to do.

I fired my first weapon when I was 8 years old at a cub scout summer camp. While it was well supervised an very well conducted, there is a big difference in showing a youngster a weapon and buying one for them. A 5 year old is too young to fully understand an comprehend the complexity and danger they poses. They will treat it like a toy and if they know how to load the gun, what do you think will happen if they find a 22 bullet on the ground or a friend brings one over your house.

Yes, I'm sure you will lock the gun up so the child cannot handle it without adult supervison, but we all know that from time to time tha fails and some kid get hold of a gun and access to ammo.

Personally, I don't think any kid under 12 years old should own a gun although they can experience some supervised shooting instructions at ages around 7 or 8.

...Rich

I know Yall' were waiting for this one:lol: i got pulled over after Katrina and the cop laughed.

Situation: You have a gun that is secured and hidden and you get car jacked. Do you really think you will have time to unsecure your gun to use it?
yes

[Broken External Image]:

Wow ! Thank you all for your answers. And I do mean all of you. I did not want to stir up a stink I just had a legit question about storage. How many of you would have condenmed me if I had asked where to conceal a pint of Jack Daniels ? Drunk drivers are the biggest threat on the road, not me. My kids are well trained in gun safety, anti drug/alcohol etc...

I would never put a child at risk and would only resort to useing a gun as a last defence. I am overly conscience of the dangers involved and the risks and I was asking for advice just for this reason. Thankfully I got some, along with a few chuckles. As for the gun safety posts I also thank you for showing a concern for all children and would be innocent bystanders. Your points are well taken.

Latest posts