which oil

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Mobil1 5w30 Synthetic in the winter and 10w30 in the summer. Like you said, not much difference, but peace of mind.

I drive my Trac (Drove I guess, sold it) 7 days a week. During the work week it was 120 mile round trip to and from work alone, not counting any running the kids around after work...

After the second oil change I went to Moble 1 Synthetic and never went back. I did it know I could get more miles out of it. It just gave me more time between oil changes. But I swear the engine ran better and my mileage increased. Part of this I am sure has to do with the engine breaking in, but I saw the change almost immediately after going to synthetic.

Normally use mobil 1 synthetic but the local Farm King stores carry amsoil so I bought some and the next oil change I'm gonna see if it makes if it makes any difference.

I recommend Synthetic or a synthetic blend. In my opinion it doesn't matter which. I have used them all and there isn't that much difference between all the synthetics. I got about the same gas mileage on all of them. The only difference I seen was when I used a regular oil instead of Syn. There was a difference there and my vehicle got a "tick" when it was running. Went back to a syn. blend and the "tick" dissappeared. In my opinion, as long as you keep good oil i it and keep it changed at the right intervals, the vehicle will be fine. Go with what you can afford.;)

It's rare that you will see or feel a difference amongst oils but it can happen. Only way to know for sure is to get a used oil analysis from a lab and less than 3000 miles won't tell you anything. I was a confirmed Mobil 1 user but comparing Mobil 1 vs. Motorcraft in my wife's car (you don't think I'd try it on mine, do you? :D ) over 5000 miles, the wear metals results were nearly identical and Motorcraft costs half as much. Although a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart for $20 is a good deal.

I'm sitting on some Pennzoil Platinum which will end up costing about $2.49/qt when I get my rebate check from Pep Boys.

I'd say if you're going to change it every 5000 or less, then a syn blend is sufficient.

I use mobile 1 full synthetic. I have tried royal purple but didn't notice any difference one way or the other over Mobile 1. Mobile 1 is easier to get and cheaper, so I use it. Not all synthetics are true synthetics. There are two types, but that's another issue.

The big problem I have with Synthetic blends is that I can't find out the ratio of natural oil to synthetic ratios. Theroretically, 1/4 oz of synthetic with 31 3/4 ozs of dyno is by definition a quart of synthetic blend. I challenge anyone on the board, a while back, to find a listed ratio. I still haven't found one. So if anyone knows, please give a shout.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts