Which programmer/chip?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Magee

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First post here, so bear with me. I had a 2001 Sport Trac XLT a few years ago, and traded it on a 2002 F-150 HArley DAvidson edition with the supercharged 5.4. Did lots of mods to it and ended with a truck that dynoed 423 RWHPO and 511 Fpt. LOTS of fun!!!! It was totalled in a tornado back in November, and I just recently purchased another sport trac to replace it. Got an AMAZING deal on an 05 XLT premium 4x4 which was originally purchased new in October and had less than 7000 miles on it.

Anyway, I am obviously missing some POWER now! I realize that short of adding a supercharger and spending big bucks it is never going to feel like my HD did. But, I would at least like to "liven" this trac up a little bit. Even in a SC'ed truck a programmer/tuner/chip was the most bang for the buck. What is the preferred one for the trac's? Also is there one that you can modify tire size to correct the speedo if you add larger tires?

I have seen a couple of intake kits, but they all say they fit up to an '03. any advice on which one to use on an '05?

Thanks in advance, and I have enjoyed reading the forums so far.

Jim Magee

Jonesboro, AR

SCT Xcalibrator from WFoy, a site sponsor. You can change tire sizes with this programmer. Also, intake kits that fit an 03 will fit an 05. Check my sig for the programmer.

xcal2, exhaust, intake, throttle body..... maybe underdrive pulley.... thats above the bext performance mods you could to off the top of my head

With the "SCT XCalibrator 2" you can tweak your chip to your hearts content. It saves the OEM program back out to the unit so that when you have to take it in to the dealer for warrenty work; no one will know the difference. Forget about the throttle body spacer.

SCT Xcal2 hands down is the best way to go. You don't have to mess around with removing the PCM and sanding down the contacts like you have to do with a chip. I'm currently running Wayne's 87 otcane program, modified to increase the shift firmness a bit. I don't think it added too many hp, but the transmission performs much better, and overall the Trac feels quicker. I've also adjusted the speedo for larger tires. You can get up to 3 programs with the Xcal2, plus the stock program.

thanks everyone. I am not sure how far I will go with the performance mods, but I am thinking with tuner, e-fan, and intake kit they may be a pretty fun truck to drive.