Will be replacing my 255/70/16 Wranglers, what to get?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Hampton

Reaction score
*** PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE ANSWERING ***

I don't care for the Wranglers, they're noisy and rather expensive as they don't seem to wear long. I know I need to get an alignment when I get new tires as well. Price, longevity and noise are my priorities. I have the 4.10s but I only have a 2wd '03. I don't offroad, I primarily drive on the highway, rarely on dirt roads and we don't get much snow in central Oklahoma, more ice and rain. I tend to like 4 or 5 wide, straight grooves to take care of the water and narrow siping to take care of sound, our trucks are noisy enough. I like blackwalls, don't care for wild designs on the sides or those stupid grooves that catch dirt and make the tires look crappy when it's clean.

I've looked at Yokohama Geolander HT/S, Cooper Discoverer HT, Dayton Timberline HT, General Grabber HTS. I'm not wild on Firestone, Uniroyal, Goodyear, or BFG's. I don't need an all terrain or mud terrain tire and I have a wall paper tub that I put in the back and fill with sand when it gets icy.

On a side note, I've already noticed better mileage since getting the camper shell over my soft tonneau, about 40-50 miles per tank better in the past two full tanks, I was getting 400-425 per tank and am now getting 450-475. I got over 500 miles per tank o my way down to Houston from OKC and back (two tanks total, took my own fuel, five 5 gallon cans at about 25-30 cents cheaper per gallon.) I drove down with the tonneau removed so I could easily install the camper shell.

I was pleasantly surprised to get 65K out of the OEM Hankook tires on my '08 van. Then I put Wrangler RS/A's on it ........... never again! The Hankook's were excellent highway tires!

Michelin LTX M/S Hands Down. A bit pricey but worth it.

Michelin makes some excellent street tires, Excellent handling, great in snow & rain. I don't know about offroading but in the real world they are great. I use to cheap out on tires, but now all my vehicles ride on Michelins!

Sam's Club sells a version of the Michelin LTX M/S. They're called the "Michelin X Radial LT." I have them. Great in the snow and rain. I paid $440 for 4 tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard great things about the Michelin LTX M/S and General Grabber...I plan on buying one of the two in the next couple weeks, depending on what I can find locally.

Michelin LTX M/S. The 1st set lasted about 98,000 miles(should have replaced around 80,000). Great tire, and I replaced them with the same tire... No need to have the tire siped, as these already are. I have used them in storm chasing, winter snow and UP of Michigan 2-tracks(ie mud), and they are a great tire. Also much quieter than the stock tires...

I had them installed as part of the original purchase deal with the dealer... Bought another set when the 1st ones wore out.

If it were me getting new tires I would get the General Grabber HTS because they are the top rated tire on TireRack.com. When I bought the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's that are on now in '06 they were the top rated tire on TireRack.com; the Alenza's still have another year or two on them and have been an excellent tire in my opinion.

Went from the OEMs to Revos and I've been nothing but pleased. No snow down here, but the wet-weather handling is night and day.

My buddies '90 Amigo 2wd had 31x10.5x15 Michelin LTX M/S on it from the factory and by rotating them, he got 105k (!!!) out of the first set (the truck had a tailgate mounted matching spare) of 5 tires, he asked me what he should replace them with and I told him, no contest, the same tire!! Well, he only got about 60k out of the next set (from Sam's Club).

I bought a set of Michelin tires for my wife's '95 Windstar several years ago from Sam's, they were a high dollar tire (about $600 for the set), after about 55k, they were weather cracked on the sidewalls and leaking air thru the sidewalls, since I had a warranty on them, I took them back to Sam's and they replaced them.... FOR FREE!!! I didn't have to pay any pro rated rate, it was a Michelin warranty. After about 65k, they started doing it again, again went back to Sam's and they replaced them AGAIN!!! Both times these tires only had about 4/32 tread left. At about 50k they were doing it again, went back to Sam's and Michelin no longer made that tire, so they couldn't replace them, but what they could do was GIVE ME BACK MY MONEY!?! :cool: :banana: and since the van had about 187k on it then, I put a set of $200 BFG's on it and sold it a year later.

Maybe have to check Sam's out......

Latest posts