$1500 repair bill

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Tucker

Reaction score
So I talked to mechanic today and its going to be $1500 in parts and labour for new bearings/hubs and new break pads and 1 rotor..or do Rotors come in pairs?

fair price?

edit: see my previous thread if you want to know what happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds very high to me. I don't think the parts should run more than about $500 max, even including both rotors, which should be done in pairs.

That seems pretty high to me as well. One option I would consider, which I have done in the past, is to buy the parts yourself and find a small shop (on your own or by word of mouth) and see how much they will just charge in labor. I've saved lots of money this way before, plus you can build a nice relationship with the local shop and they will look at small things for free or much cheaper than your national chains.

My two cents!

Do it yourself and save $1k. Those parts MAY come to $500 with taxes and if you get performance pads, and it will only take a few hours of your time. Hell, for $1500, you could throw on some endlinks, shocks, sway bars, new calipers, and new ball joints as well...

well these guys are great and I've been going to them for a couple yrs and they are very honest. I assumed from the get-go that most of that cost is labour, but Kevin (my mechanic) said that if I decided to do just the one side, parts & labour would be about $700..

I'm not very experienced when it comes to mechanic crap and cars, so I cannot do the work myself without fudging other components up, at least that is how I feel. I am going to be doing my own work with a TT/Shackle lift and replacing endlinks trying to build some experience, but as for now i dont have a choice - i have to pay for labour.

This is Canada money so it is actually about $35,000 in American money. ;)

Seriously, you are getting a bone in your rear end. Find a different mechanic. This one is a rapist.

Tom

lol the exchange rate wasn't THAT bad last time i checked..

And yea, I feel a little vulnerable right now :lol:

i just talked with them and they saved me a couple hundred $ afterall.. total came out to around $1000

Dose the mechanic bring the lube for your bum;););)

Funny thing is i can buy more for my canadian loonie then the old greed back !!!!It is more like $36,000 US :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Price out the parts. installing Rotros, pads, calipers, etc should be no extra labor since those items must be removed to replace the bearings.

Tom

Uh, my dimpled/slotted rotors and performance pads for my '07 run about $600 for the setof ALL FOUR. OEM is about half that.

Look at the projects section for Bearing Replacement, I think it is featured on the welcome page, and look for brake replacement as well. Save yourself some cash money.

well i just picked up my trac..

they saved me a couple hundred in labour. i do really like these guys.

Both bearings/hubs came to $715. that was the biggest expense. new rotors and break pads were another $300

Labour was $250

Hey Caymen... look at the exchange rate...

1,500.00 CAD = 1,502.25 USD

Canada Dollars United States Dollars

1 CAD = 1.00150 USD 1 USD = 0.998501 CAD

And 2 weeks ago our dollar was worth more than the USD... haha.

shaun,

The bearings and hubs are at most $300 for both. Sorry to say it but I think you still got hosed. Rotors and break pads run $200 max. You probably could have flown Caymen up to install everything and teach you how and gotten away cheaper...sorry.

Jeff is right.

You got screwed. Plain and simple.

$715.00 for two hubs? Get real. You got F%$KED!!!

Tom

Caymen and Jeff C, are you aware that he has a 4x4? (maybe that is why his price seems high). Just checking, if you were aware, then yes, he did get hosed.

Latest posts