$1500 repair bill

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it is a 4x4.

There is no way two hub/bearing assemblies costs $750.00.

They only cost about 160.00 each.

Tom

Maybe Canada has high taxes and import duties. No way to compare overseas prices with US. Heck, if I have to bring a new engine to Poland to fix my car I will get hit with a 27% import charge, plus shipping, plus 22% tax, etc., etc. The engine will cost twicw as much as it would in the US with all these add-ons. :(

The parts could be purchased in Canada.

Anyone know of a decent online auto parts retailer online?

i.e in the USA we have autozone.com, rockauto.com, etc.

Even with a 50% import duty, there is no way it would make $400.00 turn into $750.00.

Tom

Nelson, it isn't the import fees, it is companies not adjusting for the dang dollar. When our dollar was worth half of the US dollar an item here costs $1 canadian, now the the dollar is at par the item still costs $1. So really we are paying twice as much as a US person for the same part. Stupid books still have a Canadian and a US price stamped on them with a huge difference between the two, yet the dollar is at par. Funny how that works. So items here will cost more. That is why I buy stuff from Amazon.com and not Amazon.ca. Even with shipping .com is cheaper.

I just called some stores, hub/bearing assembly is $301.99 per side from NAPA. So it looks like prices are quite a bit higher here.

Edited to reply to Caymen - I tried a bunch of online places and they all say "not in catalog", I called Canadian Tire, who sells lots of car parts, they don't carry the parts either. So yeah, we are still getting screwed even with our dollar being high. Sof if they used Ford OEM parts his price could be pretty damn close to be right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I looked into it and called around. All the Auto PArts stores in London Ontario are selling them at said price... Freakin crooks.... Glad to find out its not MY GUYS doing this though

For everybody here that thinks that Shaun got ripped I have a challenge for you. Open a shop and start giving parts away for exactly what you paid for them, give all work a minimum of 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty, buy tools on a neverending basis, pay for all your shop expenses...and employees also and when you are done doing that plus some, try to feed your family and pay your mortgage...never mind trying to keep the doors of the business open so tomorrow you can give everything away again.

If anybody here is self employed/small business owner, and I am sure there are a few, tell me honestly that you can afford to live while giving away all your goods and services for what you paid for them....I thought as much.

all I know is I paid 8 American dollars in Canada that would cost 4 American dollars fpr a Starbuck drink ...still it was worth it! Caramel Frappaccino! YUM!! :lol:

l1tech,

Working in a parts store, I know how much shops jack up prices. The point is, I don't think the prices were fair to begin with. $750 for hubs would run $500 max here, and the brakes would run you about $300 (so that's accurate). Install is 3 hours max, especially with a lift and air tools (I can do mine in my gravel driveway with hand tools in 3 hours), so figure $250 for labor (again, accurate). Basically, it just seems like you got hosed on the hubs...

It depends on where the shop gets the hubs from. Most shops can't shop around multiple parts store to find the best price, most have accounts set-up with a few shops or suppliers, and whatever price that store or distributor charges is what the shop has to pay; customer pays that plus a premium. If you go to a shop and you think the price quote for parts is outrageous, go to a different shop...they may have a different suppliers with a better price on that part. Or buy the parts yourself and have the shop install them. The shop in question may be buying OEM or from an OEM supplier, which usually costs more then aftermarket parts.

I know where I worked we dealt mostly with NAPA, or Advance if by chance NAPA didn't have the part or was backordered. We also installed many OEM replacement parts, it all just depended on the car, the part, miles, and customer wants.

Sure the price is a bit more then what could be done at home when shopping around for the best price, but that just isn't how it works at repair garages.

Olaf,

I looked it up. Autozone sells the hub for $160.00.

For everybody here that thinks that Shaun got ripped I have a challenge for you. Open a shop and start giving parts away for exactly what you paid for them, give all work a minimum of 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty, buy tools on a neverending basis, pay for all your shop expenses...and employees also and when you are done doing that plus some, try to feed your family and pay your mortgage...never mind trying to keep the doors of the business open so tomorrow you can give everything away again.

The majority of shops require the employees to have thier own tools. The shop just buys the speciality tools. For the majority of work, the special tools are simply not needed. I have a small tool box in my garage. I have about $600.00 worth of tools.

Lets compare this in another aspect. The listed price on, lets say the Autozone website, is not the price shops pay. One friend and my cousins husband were managers at two different Autozone stores. They sell to shops at wholesale price. They would give me the wholesale price when I needed something. The hub that would retail for $160.00 would be about $120.00 wholesale. So, the average mechanic would charge about $250.00 for that part to the custome. That alone is a profit of $130.00. Shops usually charge $85.00 per hour for labor. A job like that would have a book time of about 2 hours. That is $170.00.

So far, about $300.00 profit. They will upsell a brake job for another $100.00. Since everything is already apart, the job will get done at no extra cost. They will charge you for it though. So, add another 1 hr labor.

The pads will cost about $50.00. There is another $50.00 profit on the pads and another 85.00 for labor that is really covered under the replacment of the hub.

All said and done, total profit is about $735.00.

With the proper tools, a lift, and a warm shop, that 2 hour job makes them $735.00.

Lets say half of that goes into keeping the shop open. For two hours of labor, there is almost $350.00 in profit.

This was only 2 hours of work. I have never seen a repair shop that does not have cars lined up for repair.

Sorry, you theory does not fly. On top of all that, they have to nerve to charge you "Shop supplies" for an extra $20.00.

It is sickening.

Tom

Tiger hit the nail on the head with his last post. Where I work the moajority of our parts that we install on cars are OEM and I wouldn't have it any other way. That is the only way to assure proper fit and performance of said part. Sure you can find parts cheaper all day long at your local auto zone but I don't care to take the chance. I only install oem parts on my vehicles, why should I treat my customers any different.

I am gonna bid this job out when I get to work and see what I come up with.

please do l1tech..I am still checking this post with great interest.

thanks to all involved by the way

Edit: also please consider that I am dealing in "Canada money" as tom so eliquently put it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
shaun I just 3 days ago had my hubs/bearings replaced on my 2004 by my local Ford Dealer the total cost parts and labor was about $698 so looks like I made out OK. I still wish I had read through the forums thoroughly as I certainly would have purchased the parts myself (ones with a lifetime warranty) and had a local shop that charges about half the labor rate as the dealer do the install, I am not mechanically inclined enough to do it myself I dont think. My dealer has served me alright and I understand they are a business trying to make a good profit but I also need to be looking out for me and not spending double what it could have cost. Lesson learned for me search/ask on this site before having any work done.

Shaun, here is the breakdown of what it would have cost you at my shop

1) Front hub and bearing assembly $182.00 x2 (oem parts)

2) Front brake pads $98 (oem parts)

3) Front brake rotor $87 (Bendix)

4) Labor to install hubs & brakes $288

5) Labor to check alignment, we do this on all vehicles that have bearing failures $30

Grand total for this job where I work is $829 USD with an 18 month/ 18,000 mile parts and labor warranty and keep in mind that we are a higher end shop.

l1tech,

In other words, your price is almost half of what they wanted for the job in question here?

Just to think, you sounded like you supported the original $1500.00 labor charge.

Tom

Once again, L1tech is quoting US prices, I priced out the front hub and bearing assembly here in Canada and was quoted $301.99 per side, that isn't even OEM parts, that was from NAPA.

I'm starting to think all that pink and purple money I saved from our trip last summer as "souvenirs" has turned into a good investment, lol.

Olaf I realize that I quoted USD prices but according to my currency converter that I used online it comes out to $850 canadian...or am I missing something here.

Caymen

In defense of the original estimate given by the shop the only thing that we didn't/don't know is where they got their parts from. At the time I was unaware of what these assemblies went for new from the dealer...now I know :D

Latest posts