410 ST 03 diff oil change, is it syntethic

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose Ayala

Reaction score

Hi all,

looking for feedback here.

Have you changed your diff. oil and if so, did you used syntethic?

I went to Ford, Tampa FL and they told me my ST uses syntethic and it will cost me 179.99 to change it.

Wow!!!!

Is it that expensive to change and or do it?

Any feedback will be appreciated,

thanks.

Jose

It is synthetic and that is a rip off! I went to a 10min penzoil place the other day, got it done for under $40, they used amsoil too. With a suction pump ($8 wal mart) you can do it your self, wich I will do next time. --TOM

The dealer will remove the back cover plate, install a new gasket or silly cone and refill with synthetic fluid and the friction modifier...

IF you don't have a Limited slip you can go with out the modifier.

That is a normal dealer service price..

And the ST does use synthetic...

Todd Z

$179 is a rip-off. The qwicky-lube places will do it for less. The front diff is basically impossible to drain without a suction pump anyway. Not really necessary until 100k unless you've submerged the axles (I did) or just want to do a little extra preventative maintenance.

I bought my own Mobil 1 gear lube, 75w-90 front and 75w-140 rear, and had the Valvoline Qwicky-Lube place suck them out and refill with my stuff. They charged me $25 per diff, their normal fee using their lube (non-syn) was about $40. Takes a little less than 2 quarts in front and a little less than 3 quarts in back.

BTW, the factory axle lube is synthetic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts