90 Year Old Vet told to remove Flag by homeowners Assoc.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the guy was dumb enough to buy into a neighborhood full of Nazi's, then he gets what he deserves.

I can never understand why ANYONE would be willing to live in a community with a HOA.

Tom

All VET's are to be honored in my opinion. However, it was these early VET's that really had it hard as compared to today's times -- CoastieJoe

Being a vet myself, I agree to a point, but I know hardly any of us sacrificed as much as this guy. There is a reason that ALL officers salute a medal of honor recipient, no matter whether he is even a private. They earn that honor and have the recognition of Congress.

I personally believe that ANYONE should be allowed to properly display a flag on their own property. If burning a flag can be protected as free speech, then definitely displaying a flag should receive the same protection.

Seems to me that many of you guys can't see past this guys accomplishments, his age, and the perceived slam against his patriotism.

We can all agree that the HOA might have some stupid, heavy-handed rules.

But if it is the case that this old guy bought the home aware of the HOA regulations then he should get no special treatment. For if he does, it cheapens our society, and our ability to elect representatives that govern...which, as I said above, has to also be something this guy spent his life fighting for.

TJR

i am the ANYONE that owns a home in a HOA community.

my HOA does a great job at making sure things don't get out of hand by allowing people to do whatever they want with their property. i chose to live by those rules.

in this case as tjr stated the rules are there and need to be enforced. it is a shame for this honored vet, but rules are rules. he agreed to them. so if he commits a crime, do we let him go based on the fact that he served and is medal of honor vet?

i am sure the HOA lets you display some type of flag, just on a smaller scale and not a flagpole.

I am also a disabled veteran from the Viet Nam are. A military person that is A Medal Of Honor winner IS a step above the rest of the people in this country, not above the law, BUT entitled to special treatment by EVERYONE else in this country, and that includes having a flag pole and flag in his or her yard WHEREVER they live. The ceremony of raising and lowering the flag is just as much a part of respecting the colors as saluting it or covering your heart or removing your hat and standing as it passes in front of you. THAT FLAG IS what every soldier, of every war that served our country, was wounded, maimed or KILLED representing!! Fly your flag and fly it proud, to hell with the HOA.

my HOA does a great job at making sure things don't get out of hand by allowing people to do whatever they want with their property. i chose to live by those rules.

We do too. It is called "Zoning". I choose not to pay some power hungry nobody to tell me what I can or can not do with the property I OWN....

Tom

We can all agree that the HOA might have some stupid, heavy-handed rules.

Yes but, this issue goe's way beyond weird colored house's and broken down cars. This steps into the teritory of what should be sacred to all of us. If his flag and pole looked like crap. That could be disrespect for the neighborhood and the flag. Not the case here.

Wait till your HOA says that the local church doesnt belong. Or mail boxes, go to the post office attitude. Some of their rules change with the whim of, who gets voted in or moves in.

Alfred E.Newman once said, is nothing sacred. Now I know what he meant.

my HOA does a great job at making sure things don't get out of hand by allowing people to do whatever they want with their property

Let just all give OUR PROPERTY to the government so we don't get out of hand........that would be a comforting thought.

HOA's are just little dictatorship cells operating in a free society.:rolleyes:

Am I in the Country I think I'm in?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you read the story and watch any news clips you will see this is truly a case of the HOA overstepping its bounds.

Displaying the flag is specifically mentioned and allowed in their rules. The rules do not state how the flag can or cannot be displayed and flag poles are not banned in in the rules.

The portion of the rules about flags states they can be flown and have to be aesthetically pleasing.

They are being douche bags.

Displaying the flag is specifically mentioned and allowed in their rules. The rules do not state how the flag can or cannot be displayed and flag poles are not banned in in the rules.

The violation is not over the flag, it is regarding the flagpole. He was told he could fly the flag from a pole mounted to his home.

I can never understand why ANYONE would be willing to live in a community with a HOA.

We do too. It is called "Zoning". I choose not to pay some power hungry nobody to tell me what I can or can not do with the property I OWN....

Tom, stay where you are. You are in for a rude awakening if you ever move to the big city or a new development. It's just the way it is. And by the way, the "Zoning" laws tell you everyday what you can, and cannot do with property you own.

Flagpoles, Flag Sizes, Flag Proportions Show Section Hide Section

The usual size of a flag used at home is 3'x5'. A casket flag is 9-1/2'x5'. The table below shows the appropriate size flag to fly on flagpoles of several heights.

Home Use

flagpole / flag

15' / 3'x5

20' / 3'x5'

25' / 4'x6'

From the Flag code. It doesnt say the size for house mounted. just the size of the pole to the flag. I wonder what they would say if he mounted the Flag the 21' pole on the side of his house. this is what I would do..

there is a way around everything..

You guys getting in a huff about this seem a little crazy to me.

I hope none of you belong to or support any clubs or organization that define rules about who can, or how they can use their land or resources. Say for example, an ATV club, or a Rod and Gun club, etc. If you do belong to such organizations AND you support their rules and their right to define them, THEN, you my friend, are a hypocrit if you are crying foul in this case.

A HOA is just another organization that defines rules. If you don't LIKE their rules, then don't buy one of their regulated properties. You get to CHOOSE who you are associated with and what organizations you are a member of. Don't like the rules, go elsewhere.

TJR

I didn't look at the story or watch the clips, but if what Frank Stein said "The rules do not state how the flag can or cannot be displayed and flag poles are not banned in in the rules" then the HOA doesn't have a leg to stand on. We've been over and over this with our HOA legal counsel and he always says "if it's not specifically stated that it's not allowed, you don't have a leg to stand on". If this is the case, then that HOA is SOL.

Reading comprehension is your friend.

The HOA rules in question do not state you cannot have a flag pole.

The rules are silent on the point of how a flag is displayed, be it on a pole mounted to the house or a pole cemented into the ground.

Everyone agrees he can fly a flag, the quesion is what method is allowed.

The HOA is wrong on this matter unless they can prove civily that the pole in question is not "aesthetically pleasing".

The HOA is wrong on this matter unless they can prove civily that the pole in question is not "aesthetically pleasing".

If you have ever lived within an HOA you know this is not true. The HOA will prevail in this matter if it should become a legal question. If a rule is note specifically stated, or detailed, it doesn't mean you can do it. However, all they have to do is petition all the residents and let the majority rule.

Frank Stein says:
Reading comprehension is your friend.

The HOA rules in question do not state you cannot have a flag pole.

The rules are silent on the point of how a flag is displayed, be it on a pole mounted to the house or a pole cemented into the ground.

Everyone agrees he can fly a flag, the quesion is what method is allowed.

Where exactly did you read the HOA rules?

All I saw was a news article that summarizes the position of the HOA. I wasn't able to find the list of rules, so I can't be sure whether or not their is a specific rule against flagpoles.

TJR

pudge,

so someone with a medal of honor is a step above the rest of us and deserve special treatment. check me, this is america and EVERYONE is equal. i appreciate the people who serve and protect, but why special treatment?

tom,

i pay $140. per month to my HOA. that includes lawn & yard maintenace, irragation, and insect spraying. i also check year end financials and there is NO profit by the HOA.

i think you would agree that 140 a month is a minimal charge for all the services provided.

so am i paying some power hungry nobdy???????

Tom, stay where you are. You are in for a rude awakening if you ever move to the big city or a new development. It's just the way it is. And by the way, the "Zoning" laws tell you everyday what you can, and cannot do with property you own.

I live in a city. It is a small city of about 220,000 in the city and another 300,000 in the surounding area. Yes, zoning laws do dictate what you can or can't do. That is correct, but they are not run by power hungry nobodies. The city and its zoning laws make rules like "No non running cars". HOA's make rules that say "No pick-up trucks are to be parked outside of the house after dark", or "no other building is allowed to be built on the same property". In other words, if I want to build a shed in my back yard to store my mower and snowblower and I live in one of the idiotic HOA area's, I am barred from doing so.

Give me a break.

i pay $140. per month to my HOA. that includes lawn & yard maintenace, irragation, and insect spraying. i also check year end financials and there is NO profit by the HOA.

i think you would agree that 140 a month is a minimal charge for all the services provided.

so am i paying some power hungry nobdy???????

Absolutly! I pay nothing to mow my grass besides gas. I don't even mow it. That is the wifes job. I can also leave my vehicle on jack-stands overnight while I am working on it without getting some HOA moron wanting to call the national guard on me.

Tom

Latest posts