90 Year Old Vet told to remove Flag by homeowners Assoc.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Chase

Reaction score
Homeowners association threatens to sue WW II veteran over flag pole

RICHMOND, VA- One of the nation's oldest Medal of Honor winners is fighting again, now with a Virginia neighborhood association that wants him to take down his front-yard flagpole.

Supporters, including a U.S. senator, are falling in behind 90-year-old Army Col. Van T. Barfoot, a World War II veteran.

Barfoot put up the 21-foot flagpole in September. He raises the flag daily at sunrise and retires it at sunset.

But the Sussex Square homeowners' association says the flagpole violates the neighborhood's aesthetic guidelines and ordered him to remove it by 5 p.m. Friday or face a lawsuit.

U.S. Sen. Mark R. Warner is among those offering to help break the impasse, according to Warner spokesman Kevin Hall. Others are backing Barfoot on the Internet, including with a Facebook page.

:angry: Let the war vet fly his flag! If you search his name in Facebook you can join the support group for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man alive! This is getting crazy! It just makes me so mad that soemone is going to tell this guy, who fought for our country and its flag, to remove the very thing he risked his life for?! I think he should ship the association off to russia or iraq or iran, let them understand just how good it is we have it here, becouse of guys and gals like him.

He also went on to fight in Korea and Vietnam. Col. Barfoot is one of the last living WWII MOH winners. Reading his MOH citation gives one a true definition of the word "hero".

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 23 May 1944, near Carano, Italy. With his platoon heavily engaged during an assault against forces well entrenched on commanding ground, 2d Lt. Barfoot (then Tech. Sgt.) moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machinegun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade, killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans. He continued along the German defense line to another machinegun emplacement, and with his tommygun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machinegun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17. Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark VI tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommygun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German fieldpiece with a demolition charge placed in the breech. While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety. Sgt. Barfoot's extraordinary heroism, demonstration of magnificent valor, and aggressive determination in the face of pointblank fire are a perpetual inspiration to his fellow soldiers.

These kinds of things happen all the time in HOAs. It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out.

<object width="429" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://vp.mgnetwork.net/viewer.swf?u=c3277db430f8102da6fd001ec92a4a0d&z=RTD" ></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://vp.mgnetwork.net/viewer.swf?u=c3277db430f8102da6fd001ec92a4a0d&z=RTD" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="429" height="295"></embed></object>

I can see both sides of the coin here.

He obviously agreed to the association guidelines prior to getting in the home. Since this happened in Sept...why hasn't he attempted to do this earlier? Why now?

On the other side...he served his country in arguably the last justified war in our nation's history. He is 90 years old and has clearly loved his country more than the average person does.

I think he should be allowed to keep his flag. I think that things like this should be allowed anywhere in the USA. I can see where to much would look like crap but one flag? Come on! Let him fly it!

Though I understand the uproar, has anyone considered the "other side of the coin?"

If you buy a house in a neighborhood or development that is managed by a HOA and you sign a contract that states you understand and will abide by the covenants, then this is what you get.

I would expect that this vet fought to protect people's right to govern themselves; that he fought for our right to appoint members that will govern us; and he fought so that we could live where we choose to live.

So, the case could be made that his past sacrifices allow him to live in a house that has a HOA.

So, if you look at it this controversy in that light, disregarding the HOA's rules could be viewed as dishonoring much of what he fought for.

TJR

The man was awarded the MOH!

He can hang on the flagpole whatever he wants...INCLUDING ALL THE MEMBERS OF THE PANSY A$$ Sussex Square homeowners' association.

No respect!

Just joined his Facebook fan page. Crap like this just ticks me off!:angry:

By the way, according to some news reports, he was there BEFORE the HOA.

Side One - They want him to remove the pole, he might still be able to fly the flag on his house.

Side Two - He's 90 years old. A MOH winner. He should tell them to kiss his .... :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

In Richmond, Virginia they are still fighting the Civil War, they should be happy he didn't raise a Confederate Flag

Joined the facebook petition page. Invited all by friends and told them to pass it on.

We can't sit aside and let this crap go on in OUR country.

Probably an ACLU lawyer involved in this.

and yes, It's all Obama's fault!:lol:

Just a footnote, This is the circumstances for him being awardes the MOH:

On 23 May 1944, near Carano, Italy. With his platoon heavily engaged during an assault against forces well entrenched on commanding ground, 2d Lt. Barfoot (then Tech. Sgt.) moved off alone upon the enemy left flank. He crawled to the proximity of 1 machinegun nest and made a direct hit on it with a hand grenade, killing 2 and wounding 3 Germans. He continued along the German defense line to another machinegun emplacement, and with his tommygun killed 2 and captured 3 soldiers. Members of another enemy machinegun crew then abandoned their position and gave themselves up to Sgt. Barfoot. Leaving the prisoners for his support squad to pick up, he proceeded to mop up positions in the immediate area, capturing more prisoners and bringing his total count to 17. Later that day, after he had reorganized his men and consolidated the newly captured ground, the enemy launched a fierce armored counterattack directly at his platoon positions. Securing a bazooka, Sgt. Barfoot took up an exposed position directly in front of 3 advancing Mark VI tanks. From a distance of 75 yards his first shot destroyed the track of the leading tank, effectively disabling it, while the other 2 changed direction toward the flank. As the crew of the disabled tank dismounted, Sgt. Barfoot killed 3 of them with his tommygun. He continued onward into enemy terrain and destroyed a recently abandoned German fieldpiece with a demolition charge placed in the breech. While returning to his platoon position, Sgt. Barfoot, though greatly fatigued by his Herculean efforts, assisted 2 of his seriously wounded men 1,700 yards to a position of safety.

Yeah he has the right!

Seems like a pretty crappy neighborhood to have an HOA.

First, from the aspect of the HOA, I do understand where they are coming from.

That said,,, if his flag and or flag pole is not TOO LARGE nor an eye sore for some reason that we do not know of, the let the man be.

If not for him, there is a decent chance the flag that would be on the pole would be a German flag....

All VET's are to be honored in my opinion. However, it was these early VET's that really had it hard as compared to today's times.

Yes, I do realize that there are many modern day VETs that are dying or becoming seriously injured. My point is, the VETs of WW I, WW II and Viet Nam had to deal with some VERY nasty stuff is all..

I believe they deserve some leeway...

Agreed Coastie, I'm a vet. 3 combat operations and one contingency operation. But it's almost embarrassing to be one compared to earlier vets. Only if they had the public support like we do now......

Let him fly it!

Yeah he has the right!

Because of him & others like every one of us has that right.

If not for him, there is a decent chance the flag that would be on the pole would be a German flag....

Amen to that. Their homeowners assoc. can either put a flag pole on each of the lawns of the neighborhood, or take that flag pole and put it where the sun does not shine.

Mike,

I agree,,, I am what I would call a modern VET myself. All from 1982 and later. As I have said in other posts, I have said I am proud to have served 23 years and I have had some very good an unique opportunities. On the flip side, I have dealt with my share of death.

I STILL do not believe that I am the same as what I would call early VET's.

Seriously, without them, there is a good chance I would not be here...

There is nothing trashy looking about a free standing flagpole. I dont but freinds and family that live in HOA's, have said. If you inspect everyones property. You could gig the majority for something in open site. My Dad's HOA president has something that he refuses to change, on his own lot. He is all powerfull.

Before I was reassigned to Poland, I was president of my HOA. No way in hell I would be stupid enough to ask a Medal of Honor recipient to remove his flag. I was the only person in my neighborhood with a flag on my house, so I would have welcomed anyone who would have put one up.

I think in the end, the Colonel will keep his flag and the HOA will have a heaping serving of crow to eat. If not, then there is a lot more to worry about in America than a broken health care system.

I shook hands with and congratulated a Korean War Veteran on his 80th birthday today. The veterans of the wars that were fought by the greatest generation are passing away at the rate of 1500 per day. If we don't continue to show these men and women the respect they justly deserve, then shame on us as Americans. This type of ridiculous maneuvering by a plenipotentiary organization doesn't deserve the headlines it is getting. :angry:

Latest posts