blinking light of death

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOE B 3

Reaction score
Well got the blinking OD light after changing my transmission fluid two weeks ago and it died today. No rev, limited forward no up shift. I got a quote of 1600.00 for a reman. transmission and figured i'd put it in myself. Has anyone else put one in?or rebuilt one? I've done C4,C6, and a 700R4 that i rebuilt myself and put in.

Is this transmission problem pretty common? Have a lot of folks here had transmission problems? Should I be concerned? I have an '01 with 52K miles.

Geez, and I thought only my Subaru WRX had a rep for tranny probs... :(

Honestly Curt, If you dont want to spend around $1500+ to fix your tranny, you are nearing the point where this tranny problem occurs.

Sell it. Odds are it will happen with your tranny too. I would say by the looks of things this tranny problem affects OVER 50% of ST owners. Including me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curt . . went through 3 trannies on my 02 wrx before chalking it up as a disaster and getting rid of it . . I miss it though . .

The blinking O/D light of death... I had it at 93k miles. Put a Ford remanufactured tranny in it. The blinking O/D light returned after 2k miles. Had a valve body put in it. So far, so good... but I haven't even put 1000 miles on it since then...

the 01 and 02 trac's are more subseptible to the tranny problem. When Ford redesigned the valve body in 03, that eliminated most of the tranny problems. My 01 will need a tranny before long. until that the truck had given me no trouble for 108.000 miles.

Y'all have a good one

Bob

I never got the blinkin O/D light, but the tranny flare started on my first ST at 34,000. I traded it at 35,900 miles, since I couldn't get Ford to fix it (they couldn't duplicate), and the warranty was running out.

I have just went through this with my 04. It is 700 miles out of warranty and it is going to cost me $600.00. After reading all the posts on the internet about the tranny problems with the explorer series, and the dealership I am working with is worthless, I am trading the piece of crap in for a japanese car. I recommend eveyone else does the same. I hope ford goes bankrupt, and has to close its doors. Let me know if anyone hears of class action suit for putting these peices of crap on the roads. Maybe we can get some of our money back.

Former Long Time Ford Owner.

Well It happend to me also, had tranny flushed at 50,000 miles at 53000 my light started to blink took to ford dealer they said it was error code 0732 and 0735 so they replaced the valve and seal, cost $240.00 then said code 735 was still their and I need a new tranmission cost 2500 Plus labor. At present time it is at AAmco waiting to hear what they have to offer for the problem.

I am trading the piece of crap in for a japanese car.

Did you happen to read a previous post?

Curt . . went through 3 trannies on my 02 wrx before chalking it up as a disaster and getting rid of it . . I miss it though . .

Just wondering.

Tom

Latest posts