DIY Subwoofer Enclosure for Gen II ST!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks Doug for the confirmation - it does sound like a good idea.

psycareyo - fiberglassing isn't that tough - you just need a ton of patience and all your materials handy. this box was the first time i fiberglassed in my life and since then, i've done it twice again to help out some friends. i will be doing it again for a new box for the trac. this time i am going to use the entire back wall.

Clay - i don't see a respirator!! Please use it if you're doing this!!

I took the bottom cushion off of my rear seats, screwed on a 1/2" board to install the amps on, and reinstalled the seat cushions. The amps were mounted from underneath the seats. completely out of sight and the seats still fold down. :D

^Doug, that's exactly what i had in mind if the amp doesn't fit under the seat. the amp powering the front door speakers right now is under the "40" side of the seat, and the seat folds down about 75% no problem.

i got the second box started this weekend. i'm at the stage where i've removed the back seats, taped and then aluminum foiled the back wall, and i have cut an MDF base with the curves agaist the back routered out. i'll start laying the glass tonight, and hopefully have the entire back done.

psycareyo i cant tell you what the dimensions of my box were i have since thrown away my templates and the box was stolen or i would go measure it for ya. and RS

Clay - i don't see a respirator!! Please use it if you're doing this!!

I had the garage door open and all windows down as well as an industrial fan blowing it right outside. It wasn't too bad. Yesturday i found a great deal on the amp that got stolen from my car so i bought it and i think im gonna get one pioneer shallow 12" i have heard all good things about these and was tired of waiting on the memphis slims to come out. i also think i have decided to pay a professional to build me a custom ported box back there. I could build a great sealed box like my old one but i think the port will help make up for going from 2 subs to 1. and i dont know how to tune

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly don't know how a ported enclosure would sound good back there. There just isn't enough airspace for anything with decent cone size.

Oddly enough, I just blew the cone on my Logitech subwoofer for my gaming computer rig. It was ported and pounded like crazy. Shook the piss out of my home office! I wonder why that can't be done in a truck.

hey guys - i started fiberglassing this week, and got a lot done in 2 days actually....

last ime i did everything from fiberglass, but this time to save cost and time, i am using mdj whereever i had a flat panel, similar to Clay's box. The pictures below are pretty self explanatory, but basically i cut the bottom plate out along the contours of the back wall, taped and foiled the back wall, added 2 layers of glass, added the side planks cut to fit, then a pick with 7 layers, and finlly a pic with 10 layers.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

it's drying up right now. tonight i will cut out the sub holes in the faceplate, and this time will also fluch mount the subs to give more room between the seat-back and the sub. this was much easier the second time around....:rolleyes:

i asked 3 shops here, and i got a quote of $750 to $1000 for the same enclosure. it's very labor intensive. to get to the point in the last picture i have spent about 10 hours. there is about 5 more hours of work in there.

Joe - i was thinking of the same thing when building this the first time....

I had been quoted $300 for a box to be built similar, it did not remove the rear panel and mold into the body though. If you had a local place that could make a mold of it and do a plastic injection or fiberglass spray you would be ahead of the game. Not sure how large the market is for that type of investment though.

Either way, Good Work!!

Latest posts