Effect of replacing rotors without replacing pads

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even if you only do it on a single car, if you try and get your money back after selling the vehicle and after using any number of pads, I think it would be the wrong thing to do.

There is nothing wrong with what I am doing. Especially if they are worn out.

Tom

There is nothing wrong with what I am doing. Especially if they are worn out.

If you exchanged them for new pads and put them on the car and then sold the car, fine. No problem

BUT. If you took them off and put the original OEM pads on to sell the car and then returned the old pads to get your money back. I's sorry, but that is just WRONG. IMO that is dishonest and morally corrupt. In effect, you want to enjoy the benefit of someone's labor (mfg., distr., mkt., etc) without any compensation for that labor. Sorry.

This is so fun. I got all of you guys panties in a twist.

Returing a pool after using it is one thing. If you used it and it broke during the warranty and returned it at the end of the summer and got your money back, is that wrong?

I buy pads, use them, then take them back. I am not "happy" with these pads. I am not satisfied with these pads, so I get my money back.

Yea, so? This is fun...LOL

Tom

Caymen said:
I buy pads, use them, then take them back. I am not "happy" with these pads. I am not satisfied with these pads, so I get my money back.

That's not what you said above!

You said, or at least implied, that when selling a vehicle you take the pads back for a refund and put the original OEM pads back on. You never said the reason you returned them was you were unhappy. Clearly the reason in this case is that you no longer need them and want to stick the manufacturer and get your money back.

You also said you rotate the lifetime warranty pads from one vehicle, to another, to another. Clearly that's not what the intent of the lifetime warranty was. I expect that it's a lifetime warranty for a SINGLE vehicle...not YOUR lifetime across MANY vehicles....but then again, and I suspect you know that too.

Sounds like you are now justifying what you KNOW to be bad behavior. That's one of my pet peeves.

I've said it before (to others)...if your going to do something that's not kosher, then at least be man enough to admit it to yourself if not others.

Come clean and admit that you are taking advantage of a very liberal warranty policy; that you are in effect, working the system. If you can live with that, then FINE.

If you're going to do it then don't apologize for it, don't rationalize it...don't use weasel words to try to make it sound like you aren't working the system.

The pool analogy fits. If you buy something, use it until you no longer have use for it or want it, and the whole time it serves its purpose without issue, and then you return it for a refund (even if the warranty and refund policy allows), essentially you are taking advantage of a liberal refund policy and warranty. Clearly the manufacturer never intended an extended period of free use for the product under the warrant/return policy...but that is what you are doing, and that is what is done with the pool analogy.

TJR

You said, or at least implied, that when selling a vehicle you take the pads back for a refund and put the original OEM pads back on. You never said the reason you returned them was you were unhappy. Clearly the reason in this case is that you no longer need them and want to stick the manufacturer and get your money back.

Did you notice the quotes around the word Happy?

You also said you rotate the lifetime warranty pads from one vehicle, to another, to another. Clearly that's not what the intent of the lifetime warranty was. I expect that it's a lifetime warranty for a SINGLE vehicle...not YOUR lifetime across MANY vehicles....but then again, and I suspect you know that too.

This is news to me. I was not aware that I did that. Thanks for telling me this. Try reading what I said over and over until you comprehend what I ACTUALLY said.

Sounds like you are now justifying what you KNOW to be bad behavior. That's one of my pet peeves.

I am not justifing my actions. I don't really care about what you think. I am getting a kick of all of your attitudes.

Clearly the manufacturer never intended an extended period of free use for the product under the warrant/return policy...but that is what you are doing, and that is what is done with the pool analogy.

Is this one of those "Don't hate the player, hate the game" situations?

Tom

Caymen,

Sorry if I miscategorized, misread, or misrepresented one of your actions. However, you do agree that you are using these pads then taking them back for a refund when you sell a vehicle and no longer need them. You say it is because you aren't "happy" with the pads.

Of course, I know you don't care what I think, but, it is still D-bag move, and you know it.

The whole "don't hate the player hate the game" is also a cop out. There is no game here, only players. The game, if there is one, was created by the players...the inscrupulous players.

It's in no small part because of people like you that crap like this costs so much, and why so many people are so distrustful of late of their fellow man.

I now understand why you are so distrustful of authority and of corporations, etc. It's usually the man that can't be trusted that trusts no one.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:

TJR, I think you hit the nail on the head again.

I now understand why you are so distrustful of authority and of corporations, etc. It's usually the man that can't be trusted that trusts no one.

Other than that...No Comment

...Rich

Caymen,

Feel free to go out and steal ice cream from fat kids, or steal from the collection plate at a mega church, or file a fake slip and fall lawsuit against some giant groecery store chain and come back and talk about those things here.

All of those would be examples of you taking from those that shouldn't be injured greatly by your theft.

I'm sure those things would be funny too, and our dismay would be entertaining to you.

Hey, it's a game...all fun, right?

TJR

Feel free to go out and steal ice cream from fat kids, or steal from the collection plate at a mega church, or file a fake slip and fall lawsuit against some giant groecery store chain and come back and talk about those things here.

No, those things are illegal. My scenerio is not stealing. It is exploiting the system.

We can accept the fact that a CEO can expliot a company, make himself rich doing it, ruin the lives of thousands of innocent people yet find fault with someone that exploits the same type of system. You even said it yourself...

"Hate the game, not the player."

This is not theft. Of course, we can look at our own action on anything we do and see nothing wron while finding fault in someone else.

It is not illegal. It might not be ethical, but it is not illegal.

Much the same as the CEO that exploits the company, makes the books look REAL good, and then crumbles the company off for his gain.

Tom

We can accept the fact that a CEO can expliot a company, make himself rich doing it, ruin the lives of thousands of innocent people yet find fault with someone that exploits the same type of system.

We don't accept this, it happens, but it is not acceptable.

My scenerio is not stealing. It is exploiting the system.

Call it what you want, put any name on it you want too, but it is dishonest, and it is stealing.

Caymen said all of the following:

No, those things are illegal. My scenerio is not stealing. It is exploiting the system.

You quibble. You rationalize. I suspect that if you read the fine print of such warranties you might actually find that there is an implied if not specifically stated contract between you and the seller, and your actions might be in breach of contract.

We can accept the fact that a CEO can expliot a company, make himself rich doing it, ruin the lives of thousands of innocent people yet find fault with someone that exploits the same type of system. You even said it yourself...

I don't accept that fact. But everything I learned about being a good person I learned either in Sunday school, in kindergarten or from my mother. One of the first things I was taught was that "two wrongs don't make a right." Your essential rationale here is that since someone else gets away with shitting on people that makes it acceptable for me to do the same. Great way to live your life, Tom.

"Hate the game, not the player."

Again, a rationalization often quoted by people who know they are doing wrong, but since others are doing wrong too all should be good!

This is not theft. Of course, we can look at our own action on anything we do and see nothing wrong while finding fault in someone else.

I have no problem finding fault with my own life. I do things that are wrong, at times, I know it, and I accept the reasons for why I do it. I don't tend to publicize these things that I do, and I certainly don't give "cop out" reasons for them. I'm a big boy.

It is not illegal. It might not be ethical, but it is not illegal.

Then you agree you practice unethical actions. That's the first step, I guess.

Much the same as the CEO that exploits the company, makes the books look REAL good, and then crumbles the company off for his gain.

You're repeating yourself. There are lots of people doing bad things in this world. That's not an excused to add to the problem, IMHO.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Caymen,

Everytime you open your mouth to justify your actions, you keep digging a deeper hole.

Ethics is the foundation of our legal system. You are stealing some of the profits from the owners or shareholders of the autoparts store where you get the brake pads. You cannot justify that because some CEO did some unethical things and stole million$

...Rich

Again, a rationalization often quoted by people who know they are doing wrong, but since others are doing wrong too all should be good!

I am just quoting you. You said the exact quote many times in the past.

Caymen,

Everytime you open your mouth to justify your actions, you keep digging a deeper hole.

Just when I thought you were saying smart things, you come along as say this. :smile0007:

This is really fun. You guy got your panties twisted over nothing. Seriously...NOTHING!

Think about what I just said. This is really, really fun.

Tom

Richard L,

That's really my issue with Caymen. Not that he does what he does...I could give two shits.

I've said it before, and I will say it again...

I am VERY MUCH disturbed by people on this website that describe their unethical and often times illegal behavior and then, when called on it, feel compelled to rationalize and justify it.

There should be website code of conduct that states that discussions of illegal or unethical actions will not be allowed.

Too many times here people talk about breaking the law, committing insurance fraud, sticking it to retailers and service depts, etc. It's really NOT the type of behavior we would expect or want from a site that prides itself on being "family friendly."

TJR

Caymen, if I used the "player hater" quote in the past to rationalize my bad behavior, feel free to find me the quote, and I will be the first to eat virtual crow.

TJR

Latest posts